- advertisement -

Diabetes Management at School?

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by seb369, Jul 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. seb369

seb369 Approved members

Should you create a diabetes management plan for a child with type 2 diabetes? Or only for kids with Type 1? And if you should create one for a child with type 2 diabetes then what should you include in the plan?

2. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

I think you should create one. Work with your CDE or doctor to do so. I think www.diabetes.org has some information regarding this subject.

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I would think such a plan would be useful. But I don't know what to put in it. What does your child need to be able to do while at school? How will the T2 affect class time and tests, etc.

4. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

I would, just to be safe. Make sure you include anything that might be considered "out of the ordinary". Life keeping water bottles at her desk. Being able to carry her testing materials and test when needed. Having access to snacks, if needed. Being excused from tests or being able to redo tests if numbers are too high. Etc. Mainly, it's just to make sure that she gets to access anything she needs to. If it's not written specifically in a legal document, like a 504 plan, the school can refuse it.