advertisement

Diabetes makes me hate...

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Aidyn, Sep 23, 2008.

1. connieleeann

connieleeann New Member

Diabetes makes me hate awkward conversations at work. Well, when I did work, before the accident, one of my supposed friends stopped me in the kitchen and being a rather warm day I had on a sleeveless shirt and I had a pod on my arm. She made a huge deal about how awful it was, and wasn't there some place I could hide it, and despite educating her, her main point was that I was (while wearing my pancreas on my sleeve) making a huge fashion faux-pas that no one enjoyed seeing.) It really turned my stomach. She has no idea what it's like to need to give your other sites a rest, and overall I felt like a high school geek trying to explain to the cheerleader why I prefer my comfortable sneakers to high heels. It made me see how she really felt about people in wheelchairs, or with cochlear implants, or other medical devices. And glad that I'm not really compatible with her as a friend.

2. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Knowing "IT" will happen again, malevolently mocking my vigilance.

3. sunflowr72

sunflowr72 Approved members

So very many things I hate

OMG I've always wanted to list these peeves

...having had a purse since I was 10 (and people thinking I was pretentious because of it)
    ...never being able to have anything but a big purse so I can carry everything with me
    ...ignorant people who assume to tell me what I can and cannot eat
    ...people I haven't seen for awhile asking me "do you still have diabetes??" OMG DUH!!! (can I slap you?)
    ...having to take insulin in a dirty bathroom at a "nice" restaurant so I don't offend anyone
    ...I would love to just sip on a nice cold glass of juice, instead of always having to pound it back
    ...the unquenchable thirst and always having to carry something to drink with me everywhere I go
    ...people telling me how "hard" Type 2 is (give me a break!)
    ...having a chronic yeast infection (it just never seems to go away)
    ...knowing more about my diabetes than the doctor
    ...having had callouses on my fingers for the last 30 years
    ...having chronic insomnia
    ...having to eat when I don't want to/not being able to eat something because I shouldn't
    ...taking over 4300 needles a year
    ...people assuming I have type 2 because I'm overweight at the moment
    ...not knowing anyone who's more sick than me

...and sorry to say this folks, but the complications. I've had diabetes for over 30 years now, and even though I've always been so careful with my diabetes, I have peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage) in my legs. The pain is unbelievable, even with pain medication. And that's another pet peeve... having to take medication 4 times a day, besides the insulin. But my eyes are terrific (the opthamologist says "no one would ever know you have diabetes!"), my kidneys are beautiful, my heart is 100%. So it is worth it, to fight for those good blood sugars.

I so appreciate the chance to voice my hates. It's been a long time coming.