advertisement

Diabetes makes me hate...

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Aidyn, Sep 23, 2008.

1. mocha

mocha Approved members

Right now...sites that no longer work. :( I should've changed it earlier today but no..."I was just off on breakfast" "I was just off on lunch too." "I was also off on dinner?" :confused: "Oh...It's not working" doh!

2. diabeticmeg

diabeticmeg Approved members

i love this thread! it made me laugh and made me feel a little less alone.

ok things I hate:
    -ignorant people. stop staring.
    -hearing stories about family members with type 2 who lost toes/limbs etc.
    -people assuming type 1 and type 2 diabetes are the same. NOT TRUE- I have an autoimmune disease. none of this is my fault. wish they would change the names of the diseases
    -people complaining about the occasional blood draw cuz they hate needles so much (Really? do you know how many needle sticks I have in just one day?!)
    -when you can't find nutrition info for restaurants and guess (and make bad guesses)
    -when you order a diet drink and A)hope its diet and B)wish the person would stop looking at you funny cuz you're not overweight and ordering a diet drink
    -food police. and don't give me googly eyes if I eat one oreo cookie. thanks.
    -fighting with insurance companies. i need life sustaining supplies, not narcotics.

3. diabeticmeg

oh yeah forgot one: elderly people telling me not to get old cuz of all the health problems they have. if they only knew.....

truly, I think we all have our good and bad days but ultimately, surviving my diagnosis, the anger and frustration of it all has definitely made me a stronger person. I think most of us could agree to that. So for all the things we hate, here's to us!

4. sweetalyssa

sweetalyssa New Member

@diabeticmeg: How about all of the, "Type 1 is the kind that kids get, right? Are you sure you're not Type 2? I mean, you are in your 20's." Definitely the worst part of being diagnosed at 20-something, as if it isn't more than enough to deal with already!

5. diabeticmeg

hahahaha absolutely!! and depending how snarky I am feeling I promptly inform them that 50% of type 1 diabetics are diagnosed after the age of 18. that usually gets raised eyebrows. thank you jdfr for that stat :)

6. Fairy Nurse

Fairy Nurse New Member

1. Being hospitalized and having health professionals not know anything about the pump or CGM.

2. Cracker barrel. They don't have their information on carbs, and sometimes it's the only decent place when you're on the highway... :mad:

3. Having your pump remind you to test and you don't feel like walking up the stairs to get your meter.

4. Sometimes thinking you're doing everything right and then you get a crap reading. :mad:

5. Going on a first date and having people freak out that you're connected with a tube thingy.

7. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I'm an easy-going guy but I HATE being angry and frustrated with Jeremy because he forgot to do a BG check or he missed a bolus.

8. GenTink

GenTink Approved members

-any other illness. My diabetes doctor always dismisses it as related to poor control. You know what? Treat it anyways. Thanks.

-Work. I'm so conscious of anytime I have to take a break, or bring up my diabetes in any way. I know they can't legally fire me for it, but I still worry it makes me look bad.

-Moving out. It should be exciting starting out on my own. Instead I'm worried about going low in the night, not being able to afford supplies/proper groceries, etc.

9. cb-dm

cb-dm Approved members

This would be a BIG list if I didn't read a lot already!

I HATE:

~Going to the gym and having my legs go numb b/c my sugar went low. Then staying numb and severely fuzzy for 3 hours afterward

~Doctors (specifically internists at the hospital) who DO HAVE A CLUE ABOUT PUMPS! This ISN'T 1980... GET A NEW JOB OR LEARN A LITTLE ... (Did I mention I am really good at publicly humiliating docs?! (Go figure, I'm in med school now, this might back fire some day... although I promise not to be that ignorant!

~Lantus... that crap burns... I'm in the lucky 50% category. Grrr

~Scar tissue... after 12ish years of pumping. Yep... scar tissue... fat belly and arms b/c of that, even if I'm losing weight

~Gaining 25 lbs in 3 weeks after I decided to be a "good" diabetic and not a "bad" diabetic... what a "reward" that was :rolleyes:

~Cold feet always. ALWAYS

~Testing. I just don't much at all unless I'm plugged into the CGM... then I figure it's worth it

~Carb counting. I JUST WANT TO FKEBNFGJFGJING EAT!!!!

~Strange new "low" sensations after 17+ years... eye spots/blurs/darkness and difficulty in bringing up a low while driving and I couldn't really say what I was trying to.. the darn words just wouldn't come out!

~People confusing T2 and T1. ENOUGH ALREADY YOU IGNORANT FOOL! GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!! We might share distant health related probs... BUT I DIDN'T GET DIABETES FROM EATING TOO MUCH!!!

~Working as a paramedic and working so hard to prevent myself from telling the newly dx teenager that "you're screwed, fyi."

~Summertime and bathing suits (although check out my post on the SPIbelt).. worked great and they're supporting JDRF now, too!!!

~The battle of being skinny/high or fat/normal with BGs... fact of the matter... my body hates me and I work the system that'll screw me in the end

~Week "on" week "off".... "wanna do good" "wanna do bad"... it's like being bipolar every other week!

That's all for now!! :D

10. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

The thing I hate, is that I'm expected to be like other diabetics. I'm not.

I don't carbohydrate count. I never have I never will.

Those diabetics who expect all diabetics to use a pump. I don't want to use one. I'm not going to use one. If you and your doctor decided the pump was good for you, fine. For those of us who don't want to use one, that's our decision.

I have food allergies. I can't eat anything with soy in it. I use butter and the looks I get because of it. Margarine has soy. Pam has soy. Almost everything you buy at the grocery store has soy. I cannot eat oranges, carrots, onions, squash, cherries, red grapes. If something contains any of the items I'm allergic to, I can't eat it either. I'm told it's because of my being a diabetic. It happened 12 years ago, not 46 (that's how long I've been a diabetic)

11. busybeas

busybeas New Member

Just joined this group after reading this thread!
    Here goes:
    - "Oh, your parents must have fed you too much sugar when you were a baby!"
    - "If you eat cinnamon and etc. etc. you will not have to use insulin anymore."
    - "Are you supposed to eat that?"
    - When my CGM alarms all night and doesn't wake me up but does my husband!
    - When I'm late picking my son up from preschool because I was low and didn't want to drive. His teacher is very sweet but does she really believe me?
    -When I can't exercise because my blood sugar is too high from eating too much when I was low!
    -In agreement with others, I drive up to the pharmacy and they say, "For Mrs. . . . right?"
    - Not having the same amount of energy to keep going like others.

Thank's for all the comments I feel more "normal" now!!

12. wildemoose

wildemoose Approved members

I'm curious as to how this works. How do you determine how much insulin to give yourself for your food? Even people on strict NPH regimes have to carb count in order to match the food to the insulin.

13. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I base my insulin the way I was taught. I do it on what my blood sugar levels are. If I'm high, I have more Regular insulin. If I'm where I should be or low, I have my usual amount. And I know what foods will raise my blood sugar, so I will have more R if necessary.

14. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

All of the above PLUS:
    I hate it when I make a mistake and DS suffers the consequences.

But I love every diabetic person and parent of a diabetic child. I am grateful that I am not so ignorant anymore about this disease. I can sit in a hospital bed with a teenage diabetic who is hating their life and tell them that 'I get it' and you have every right to be exhausted... but I know that you can do it. I now cry with them and hold their hand. I've changed. My faith in God has changed. As tough as the change has been, it's brought our family closer. We may have lost babysitters and grandparents helping out, but now we do EVERYTHING as a family. My husband and I will get our weekend get-away... eventually. Until then, we will take one finger poke at a time and trust in a good and sovereign God.

15. boopy01

boopy01 New Member

Thank you so much for this post. I really honestly never vent about being diabetic, because I don't like to be a downer. Making the below list took some weight off of my shoulders and I had a blast reading everyone else's list.
    1. My tubing getting caught on door knobs or being pulled on by my toddler.
    2. Having to explain to the nurses in the ICU what an insulin pump is and how to use it. C'mon guys you should have a general overview.
    3. Everyone staring when I take my blood sugar or give myself a shot.
    4. People assuming that I am type 2 because I am a big girl, nope folks that?s just another lovely benefit.
    5. People who monitor what you eat and know nothing about diabetes.
    6. When my mother loudly announces to everyone 'look at her go, she's pushing those buttons, pumping that insulin.' Thanks, but I don't want or like the attention.
    7. The whole my Grandma/cousin/dad had their leg amputated or died from diabetes. Thanks for that little ray of sunshine.
    8. When I bust my butt exercising, get low blood sugar and then have to have something sugary to bring up my BS.
    9. I know my medical record by heart, that's not normal!
    10. A complete odd but compulsive worry about being pushed into water because it will ruin my insulin pump.
    11. Having to pee multiple times during the night and when you are pregnant and diabetic FORGET it!
    12. People who try to define me by my disease. Oh she's that girl with type 1
    13. I feel like I'm half machine with all of my gear.
    14. How hard you have to work to have a 'normal' pregnancy.
    15. Having no one that really truly understands in my family or friends.

16. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

1. Tubing -- gets caught to EVERYTHING
    2. Apple juice -- had it every low till I was 14
    3. Doctors appointments -- I hate sitting in the car for 3 1/2
    4. Dating -- explaining to them d and everything about it sucks. No guy wants to date me because of d
    4. Estimating at resturants -- I sit there and stare at my food for 5 minutes...awkward
    5. School -- people judge so much.
    6. "Friends" -- some don't want to be seen around me
    7. The pain -- I hate cgm insertions
    8. Purses -- I feel empty without it ,but I hate carrying it
    9. Swimming -- I hate being in public and people seeing my cgm taped to me and my sight
    10. Having a crush on a guy -- I've never dated one bc of diabetes and I'm 16. Nobody wants to deal with diabetes

17. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

Site* thanks auto correct

18. morningstar

morningstar Approved members

1. Not being able to travel light. I dream of heading overseas with just carry on luggage.
    2. Doctors, endocrinologists in particular. I have not been told anything useful in about 25 years, and get so stressed about appointments I am sure it's detrimental to my health.
    3. Door handles.
    4. People making excuses for me because of diabetes. Most of my workplace is on a fitness kick, and I'm not losing weight as fast as some. But being 5'0" tall, I weighed less than most to start with, and my percentage loss is fabulous! It's not the diabetes, I'm just small to start with..... Although another 5kg would be fab.
    5. Exercise and hypos - thank goodness for pumping.
    6. The way kids and teens with diabetes have their lives micromanaged these days. I grew up before DCCT and had a relaxed, fun childhood. And no, I do not have complications after 35 years.

19. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

mocha,

You and I are electrical engineers. So, we see eye to eye too often. Being in broadcast engineering, my pet peeves,

Equipment failures being when I must deal with transmitter failing and dealing with wonky BG levels and staying on the air at 2:15 AM. BG Meters not being built by Tektronix or Agilent. We EE types are fanatical about calibration accuracy. And live and die by it. We are creatures of routine and accepted laboratory practices.

Insulin pump sites which fail when I really safely need to deal with transmitter site failures so I can get sleep. And dealing with my attitude dealing with leaky, tiny bladders, and dealing with cranky joints and mobility issues. And my tumbles which come from spasticity and from wonky Blood Glucose levels and from dealing with the worst hypoglycemia awareness imaginable due to spina bifida and spasticity issues.

Being in radio, I must deal with what food I can conveniently get between crises at work, family, and elders. And crying from pain and frustration about juggling all 3. And wanting to give all 3 the best I can give them.

Dealing with heavy amounts of food, candy, cookies, and more sent to us by listeners, clients, advertisers, and more is tough during the holiday season. And grandmother who is food police (She had a DH in the late 1960's and does not realize new insulin, pumps, and other options mean less rigid lifestyles. So there needs to be Type 3 diabetes, or diabetes burnout aka diabetes overwhelmus.

20. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

I feel the exact same way for my DS!:mad: