advertisement

Diabetes makes me hate...

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Aidyn, Sep 23, 2008.

1. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

I hate when you order diet and your waiter/waitress give you weird looks because it's diet. Um, it's my drink. Why do you care?

2. Shutterflymomma

Shutterflymomma Approved members

oh my-

*Doctors-hate em with a passion these days. They only care about money instead of helping someone with NO money and NO insurance get the meds they need to LIVE simply by filling out a couple of stupid forms that won't break you stinkin fingers! Just sign it you idiot, and do your job by saving my life! UGH!

*Diabetes makes me HATE MEDICARE. I am SO SO SICK of hearing about how the government is going to fix Medicare, and how if you are diabetic, and have Medicare, you can get your supplies free from us, etc etc. I'm not on medicare, because I am not elderly, but I'm still diabetic, and I still need help! GRRRRRr!

Ditto the tubing on doorknobs, ditto the clothing issues (I don't even wear dresses, and try not to wear clothes without pockets). Oh, but even worse I hate when my pants rip my site out. With two kids, one very active in sports and another still at toddler, I ALWAYS have my hands too full and end up with my pants, which are weighted down with my pump, getting snagged on my site on the way to fall down and ripping that sucker out. Oh the joys!

Diabetes took my Momma away from me WAY too early, so I hate it for that for sure!

3. Rachel Erin

Rachel Erin Approved members

Ignorant stupid people.
    When I'm at a concert or movie and I get a low!
    Time of the month. Bs is always high.
    Getting sick.
    Driving and getting a low.
    My attitude. When I get high or low I'm very mean. But when they're normal, I'm nice. Haha.
    Airports.
    When restaurants don't have Diet Coke.
    Money. Supplies are expensive.
    Changing out my site every 3 days. I get lazy. :p

4. MJH

MJH Approved members

Great post and threads...

- Finger sticks (I can still squeeze my fingers and get blood from a stick more than a a few hours old)

- Yes, the door knob and tubing fiasco

- How about pulling down your pants and pulling out the canula or scratching at/near the sight and pulling the darn thing out

- My cats think the tubing is their new toy string and I won't even go guess what my parent's new puppy thinks she can do with it!!!
    :eek:

5. Shutterflymomma

Shutterflymomma Approved members

I think my hubby would give a big loud AMEN!!!!! to that one ;):p

6. missincali

missincali Approved members

Whoever said not being able to be mad or silly without their significant other worrying it's BG related. I AGREE. I can't be mad without everyone close to me worrying about my blood sugar being high or about to crash low. Even at work Lol. Nice to know they care but would like a breather sometimes LoL.

Also loath airports.

Excited to start using my pump soon, now worried about getting caught on everything after reading more replies LoL. I'm a ditz without a permenate cord. :eek:

7. Pickles

Pickles New Member

At the stage of diabetes I am in I get extremely tired at times. It is the looks I get that say "Well you look just fine" I get a sense they think I am lazy. I don't bleed therefore I am fine.

Morning rush to record, test and make sure I have everything I need in supplies for the day before I leave. I need a suitcase instead of a purse.

Having to take Humalog 15 minutes before I eat in a restaurant. Had it long enough I do it right there in front of God and the rest of the eaters. Bathrooms are too dirty and I get stares in there as well.

Saying no thank you, it looks delicious but I don't care for any. Regarding high fat high carb desserts etc.

Explaing a thousand times to certain family members at a gathering that I can eat anything you have served except the veggie tray. After 40 years I would think they would catch on that I can't eat everything fried, sauces, mayo sugar laden salads and corn pudding.

Trying to find a place to take an injection that has not gotten scar tissue.

Timing of insulin and food. I am now at the time in my condition where timing is so tight for everything I do.

At this time now having high insulin resistance from so many years of taking insulin.

8. kcard

kcard New Member

1. The diabetes police... "are you supposed to be eating that?"

2. Insurance personel who don't understand that I need the supplies my doc prescribes to stay alive, and talking to some lame brain rep who has no idea that I really do need to test about 10 times a day to stay healthy and keep complications at bay.

3. The latest insurance thing about limits... I now have a something thousand dollar limit on diabetic supplies... when I surpass that limit, what happens? They cut me off and I die???

4. When I tell people that I have been T1 for 40 years and they say "well, you don't look sick" AARRGGG

9. michelleb

michelleb Approved members

Great thread! I couldn't resist adding my own even though they've already been said many tims over.

• Can you eat that?, Doesn't that have sugar?, etc.
    • Advice giving type 2's. Really they ought to change the names so people (and medical staff) don't get them so confused all the time!
    • Eating out, pot luck, etc. It's incredible how many reastaurants don't have nutrition facts available. And what's up with IHOP adding pancake batter to the omlets?? I'd rather have less carbs than more fluff (menu says the batter makes them fluffier or something)
    • Guinea pigs and little fingers. I can't tell you how many times my guinea pig has bitten my tubing or how many times young children sitting near me have felt my site through my pants (my legs are my favorite place) and wanted to mess with it.
    • Alarms. Just got CGMS and my pump beeps and vibrates all night long.
    • Purses. I hate having to carry so much stuff around all the time. No matter how hard I try packing light just isn't an option.
    • Swimming. I didn't like swimming much to begin with and having a pump doesn't make me like it anymore.
    • Tubing or other such activities.
    • ....etc.

10. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

There's only two things which STILL make me burn....

The first is my DW. She'll be talking at me and then be provoked to ask, "Are you low?", and when I respond with something like "Yes, I've just gobbled four glucose tabs after getting an alarm from CGMS", she'll keep going and going. Usually about something really complicated. Then she explodes with with:

You aren't listening! Why do you treat me this way?? ​

Um, gee, maybe 55 mg/dL has something to do with with failure to communicate? You just ASKED ME, and even looked at the monitor yourself! :D
    - - - - -

The second is my insurance. They give me GREAT coverage, but only for a year at a time. What is the scientific basis for expecting that IDDM, with no C-peptide levels at all, magically resolves itself at 11:59 PM on December 31? Every year? :rolleyes:

11. Type1KidsNeedVoice

Type1KidsNeedVoice New Member

Number one thing people say is "So you probably can't have sugar"

"Is that a pager?" (no it's my insulin pump)

Doctors expecting everything to work out like a smooth formula. Hey, I have to deal with this minute-to-minute, trust me, sometimes there IS NO LOGIC and I have to chase lows/highs.

Yeast infections

Any mosquito/gnat/spider bite that I scratch leaves a scar forever

The generalization of "Diabetes" and its association for bigot-comedy ("oh grampa's got his sugar-diabetes" and all that crap)

Leaving for long train/ bus rides and there is no way to grab sugar before you're stuck in a long train ride. Scary!

Diabetes makes me hate that children grow up with food-police around and too many of us have eating disorders. And that I had to go through all this.

12. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

The D Police
    Fingers which look like a roadmap of Georgia (I must use these fingers in my delicate work)
    Dealing with middle of the night BG checks and occasional yo-yo BG levels
    Dealing with 2 different units of measurement and having to translate when we're on vacation seeing the in-laws
    Getting pump tubing caught in doors, broadcast studio consoles, tape machines, and other objects yanking out the set.
    Juggling BG checking, the baby and his BG levels, and running a live broadcast on air whilst juggling the phones
    Sickly sweet soda pop (I can't drink regular soda since I was DX'ed in 1986)
    Having 14 pumpers at work and the same pump alarm sounds.
    Repairing equipment and finding test strips inside it.
    Insulin Pump alarms which sound too much like the Emergency Alert System tones.
    Having to ask for a different kind of insulin when on vacation (I use NovoLog in the US, NovoRapid in Norway)

13. Sportster

Sportster Approved members

hahaha.....yeah, I agree on having to pee often and like the other post said, it seems to last foreverrrrrr. Yes, that's embarassing when you're in the stalls and 3 people have come in and out and your STILL peeing!!!! :D

14. missincali

missincali Approved members

Starting to hate the whole dating thing with my diabetes. Not an easy thing to continualy explain.. like when I order food or we go to the movies and I do actually want a candy bar the whole "You can't eat that. It's bad for you."

And still agree with everyone on the peeing thing. No matter how good my sugars are it seems like I always am the one going and it takes forever.. sucks

And starting to hate how the older people view it as well.. times have changed things are a little different now. I know it's hard to accept change but technology is better now yayy..lol grr

15. actualreality86

actualreality86 Approved members

Nature - I used to love being able to play outside all the time and not become allergic to mosquitos.

Pizza - I go high on one slice of pizza.

Pasta - Can't have it without having to know what the carbs are.

Restaurants - I always wonder if there's going to be 45 grams of carb or if I'm going to be taking a lot of insulin

Stupid doctors - They don't know what I go through all the time, everyday.

Insurance - It's high.

16. Lize

Lize Approved members

Thanks for this thread - I had a great laugh!

On a more serious note: I hate seeing the pump on my daughter (11). I hate the tears in her eyes when she comes home from school - being teased over something which really isn't her fault. I hate to think of her future (the missing limb story), I hate to see the blood on her little fingers when she tests. I hate her sometimes flushed and slightly swolen face. I hate her tantrums and tears because she is different and I can't do anything to make it go away! I hate the medical supplies that comes once a month. I hate everything about this illness!!!!

17. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Lantusfiend they have to let you bring food in class- you need a 504 for college. It will also allow you to have exceptions for tests such as retaking if you bg if outside normal limits.

18. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Hee hee your post cracked me up- tubing getting caught in tape recorders! Where do you work that there are a bunch of people on pumps? c

19. sweetalyssa

sweetalyssa New Member

- Being the 9th in a very long line of Type 1 diabetics. The most recent diagnosis before mine was 10 years ago, so of course everyone already knows EVERYTHING and I'm still kind of clueless.
    - "Doesn't it suck to not be able to eat the same stuff?"
    - My juice boxes accidentally being given to the kids at work.
    - "My dad lost 100 pounds and was cured of his diabetes."
    - All of the doctor appointments, even though I have the best endo around.
    - Discrimination, especially when folks don't realize that they're doing it.
    - Generally everything that comes with being in your 20's and getting a diabetes diagnosis.

But the thing I hate the most has to be violating my strict "no food in the bedroom" policy! Nothing bothers me more than the fact that my nightstand is now chock full of Necco wafers, crackers, glucose tabs, and juices.

It's a crappy life sometimes, but it's my life. :D

20. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

hmmm
    Mice, I keep food in my room for lows and we live in the country=(
    taking walk/runs
    the fact that last fall I had lots of lows at night (like 4-6 jucie boxes per night for 2 weeks) and now have many places to put sites:rolleyes:
    ignorant, rude stupid people that refuse to learn, especially when their in your immediate family=(
    "are you low?" "you should check your bg, you acting funny!"
    My uncle who is the only person in his immediate family without type 2 and always wants to show me his pic's of his aunt with 1 leg and 1 arm.
    long nights and early mornings
    well thats all I can think of right now:)