- advertisement -

Diabetes makes me hate...

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Aidyn, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

Oh, BUT there can always be more to add, Faith! Chime in! :D Diabetes makes us hate EVERYTHING! :)

Jess - I feel you on the eating disorder tendencies. I have battled those for years (even before "D") and while I am as over them now as I will ever be, I still have the "must be perfect" mindset and find it easy to fall into the trap of not eating//skipping insulin to stay thin. I just tell myself that it's not worth it anymore and that my health is more important.

Diabetes makes me hate knowing that I'll never completely rid myself of OCD tendencies... BECAUSE having great diabetes control requires being rather anal retentive. I obsess over what I eat all day and am constantly thinking, "should I eat this? how will it affect my sugar? will I miscalculate and then get low and have to force feed myself something sweet? Crap..."

I'd just like to have one day where I don't have to worry at all about what I eat and just HAVE AT IT! :mad:

2. missincali

missincali Approved members

I also understand with the eating thing. I've always been the oh so lucky one in the family to be short with curves.. I lost weight before I was diagnosed.. just to find out it was because my blood sugars were high.. once I knew that.. not so fun.. I used to let my blood go up just to try and stay thin. But I'm over that.. the illness that came with that was not fun at all. But it's still a thought every once in a blue moon.

Also.. I hate keytones! It sucks having them and trying to work and be friendly to people while having them is really hard.

I think always having to explain yourself to others about what you have will always be tiring.

I also hate that I didn't have this earlier. Got it right after my 17th birthday so it hurts remembering how life without it is. My little sister has had it since she was four (now sixteen) and cannot remember life without it and doesn't get as upset about it sometimes.

I hate the days where you, i guess... pity yourself? Or having a bad diabetes day? I dunno how to explain it.

3. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

I hate to hate!

I hate most of the things you folks hate but there are maybe a few more.

Did somebody say purses? I have so much to carry that I have a plain black bag for it but I guess it kinda looks like a purse. Some guys look at me ans grin or smirk. One guy whistled at me! :mad: So I hate my black bag!

I hate it when my wife insists on my testing every time I get a little too silly or get a little angry or show some unusual behavior. I hate being awakened when I turn over in bed with a "Are you OK?" I still love her to pieces though. We have been married 44 years. :eek:

I also hate it when I hate things and i hate being hated! So I think I will end my hate list right here! So there! :p

4. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

Right there with you! My husband does the same thing, and the only thing it does is makes me even more angry! I hate not being able to have a hissy fit without having it "diabetes related". :p

Diabetes makes me hate:
    -exercise.
    -when I wasn't able to pick up my sons when they were infants because my BG was too low :(
    -that I still have a "Things That I'd Like To Do If I Didn't Have Diabetes" list from when I was diagnosed, and that I've still not been able to do most of the things on my list.
    -having my "I hate diabetes" diagnosis anniversary ruined by perfectly normal BGs. :rolleyes:
    -eating anything made from flour, rice, sugar, potatoes, or corn.
    -flying and being in an airport for any reason. Seriously. :mad:
    -being told to "get over it, you're going to have it forever anyway" and "be glad you don't have cancer" by people who have neither diabetes nor cancer.
    -having those same people assume that I can easily recreate the effortless way that a pancreas controls blood sugar just by giving myself an injection.

Yeah, it's really that easy. It's the reason diabetes is so much fun.

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Diabetes makes me hate nothing, I like to be positive!

6. SGHanna

SGHanna Approved members

really? ^^^

but it's always fun to talk about all the annoyances.
    just because we're doing this forum doesn't mean we're pitying out "diseased" selves.

i mean, it's nice to see that other people have the same annoyances as you.
    and then you work with it, that's what i teach the kids at camp when i work in the summer. stay positive, because you aren't the only one with the dumb stupid problems like peeing all the time, or with gross scabby fingertips.

7. loonytune

loonytune Approved members

Ordering something from somewhere like McD's and asking for a coke zero, just to go along with my Big mac and fries!!!!:cwds:

Lack of Education between T1 and T2.:(

Taking so long to get over a cold.:mad:

Not being able to make people understand that actually yes, now and again I would like a slice of birthday cake, cos hey i CAN HAVE SUGAR, I just need to count the carbs!!!!:rolleyes:

8. SouthD

SouthD Approved members

Those are the best. Really people, stop telling me about your family members who are missing limbs!!

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

blood draws
    insurance policies
    having a low renal threshhold (which I never would have even found about without D)
    my irregular sleep pattern

10. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I get the do you need to test thing, when I am acting a little silly, mad, moody or whatever.
    After 8 yrs, DH is pretty good at knowing when I need to test and when I am just b!thcy.

11. missincali

Diabetes really makes me hate being sick that much more.. it takes forever to get better annnd for me it's like instant keytones.. which makes me hate water.

12. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Ugh. Stomach flu. Bad memories...

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Sometimes it makes me hate candy, because of having to eat it.

14. missincali

I hear you on that daxdog! Thats what I had... horrible

15. tedgar

tedgar Approved members

Um, jellybeans.

And I agree with the person who said not being able to pick up your child or carry on with your day with your child until you deal with a serious low.

Never sleeping without being interrupted, and going to sleep later than I should because my 50/50 dual wave bolus from dinner lasts for a long time.

Being woken from sleep with a low that feels so bad that you can't get up to pee, even though you really, really need to.

I am amused that so many people catch their tubing on doorknobs. Here I thought that I was the only one.

The comment, "Oh, but you will control it well, you don't have to worry about complications like my poor XYZ relative does."

I don't mind people asking what my pump is. I love it when children with d see my pump. And it is an excellent conversation-stopper when adults see it and ask about it. :p

16. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

or because you are low.

17. SouthD

SouthD Approved members

I want to add another one....

I hate ordering unsweet tea or a coffee with sugar free syrup and having to wonder if the idiot behind the counter did it right :eek:

18. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

So true. I get unsweet tea a few times a week at Sonic, during happy hour for half price and useally get a sweet one at least once a week, if I wanted something sweet I would have gotten a DR Pepper:rolleyes:

19. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I always get unsweetened, so much better! And no mistakes that way!

20. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I hate having to wonder if your soda is diet or not because those fountain drinks can really vary in flavor.