advertisement

Diabetes makes me hate...

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Aidyn, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

I thought it would be fun to post a thread of all the things diabetes makes us hate. :D

I'll start. Diabetes makes me hate:

-Airports (I'm tempted to bring a doctor's note on my next flight because I got hassled by the stupid TSA for bringing all my diabetes supplies in my carry on bag)

-Pharmaceutical companies (They're ALWAYS trying to SELL me something!)

-Ignorant people (enough SAID!)

-Dessert menus at restaurants (plenty of 'em don't have nutritional guides and while one can estimate, the true carb count in those crazy desserts is anyone's guess)

-Orange juice (I've used it to treat so many lows to the point of where it almost makes me gag because I associate drinking it with feeling low)

-Scar tissue (I used to do way too many injections in my abdomen and didn't rotate site spots enough, so now I have some scar tissue there :mad:)

-Three hour long movies and meetings (in the back of my mind, I'm always wondering what my blood sugar is!)

-Small "going out" purses (it's difficult to get all my diabetes crap into those things!)

And YOU? What does diabetes make YOU hate?

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

-being skinny. I need more places to inject.
    -forgetting my lunch
    -teachers who don't allow food in class, and people who abuse eating in the classroom policies

3. SGHanna

SGHanna Approved members

-people always asking what my pump is
    -and people asking me why i have two cell phones or mp3 players
    -pump tubing that gets stuck on the knobs when i'm walking in the kitchen
    -always being the one carrying around a purse (meaning, everyone puts their stuff in mine because no one wants to carry their own)
    -all the stuff i have to carry
    -"you can't eat that! it has sugar!" enough said (everything has SUGAR)
    -disneyland! (they stopped letting me get handicap passes to get to the front of the line)
    -movie theatre concession stands "why are you getting diet coke? you don't need diet coke, really. you can have regular coke for a much better taste" - oh you idiot
    -people playing with my medicalert or wondering what it is
    -explaining diabetes camp - "what do you do at diabetes camp?" normal camp stuff, duh

i'm sure i have more.. HAHA

4. missincali

missincali Approved members

* ALWAYS having to carry a purse

* Having to explain myself everytime I use my insulin pen

* People who assume they know everything and telling me what I can't eat because of sugar..everything has sugar!

*Airports, having to bring all that stuff on just makes things harder

*Milk, drank it too many times for lows

*Having lows in front of a lot of people

*Doctors, have to go way more than I used to

*Driving! I had to jump through sooo many hoops just to get a permit

*Restaurants, always have to guess on insulin

*Baking, sometimes it's hard to count carbs when baking certain things

*Exercise, go low a lot from over doing it

*Being sick, blood sugars are always worse with even a small cold

*Being different for a reason you can't even help

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

This thread is great.
    -The tubing on the doorknobs, it really is like something out of a "Three Stooges" movie.
    -Trying to play competitive sports or even go for hike and dealing with the blood sugar issues.
    -Apple juice from lows when I was younger-warm kept in your purse little cans of it.
    -Time wasted coming up from lows or down from highs.
    -Working my pump around certain clothes. Dresses and swim suits are just a pain.
    -Feeling like robo woman with my pump and cgms stuff attached.
    -Dr. appointments, way too many.
    -Being sick, major issue always.
    -Being tired.
    -Worrying about my health.
    -Having to lug around so much stuff all the time. Many more.:DAli

6. SGHanna

SGHanna Approved members

oh one more i forgot:

-how it's sooooo embarrassing always having to pee when you're high; people are like "it's the third time this hour!"

7. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

LOL SgHanna, I REALLY FEEL YOU on the peeing thing!

Diabetes makes me hate public restrooms because I feel like when my blood sugar is high, I am not only needing to pee frequently, BUT I am also peeing FOREVERRRRRR! I used to find this very embarrassing, but I'm mostly over it now.

I really commiserate with the always carrying a purse bit, too - sometimes, I would just like to not have to carry so much junk around. Figuring out where to put my diabetes crap while running or BMX biking is also a fun challenge ;) And my friends all want to stick their things in my bag because it's ultra convenient for them.

And like missincali mentioned, diabetes sure does add another layer of fun to colds and bugs! I had a cold a couple weeks ago for three days (I worked reallllllyyyyyy hard at trying to kick it and was successful - vitamin C, lots of water and green tea, a little bit of honey here and there, and adequate rest) and I was absolutely MISERABLE! My blood sugars were incredibly erradic and unpredictable.

Unlike LantusFiend, I am okay with not having too many comfortable places to inject. I'd rather be rock solid than fatty. Sure, injections might hurt more, but my self esteem hurts less ;)

Diabetes almost even makes me hate eating because I always have to worry about how things will affect my blood sugar.

Diabetes makes me hate being broke, too. I think it's funny that no one has mentioned yet what an EXPENSIVE disease we have!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  8. missincali

OMG the peeing thing, forgot about that! I absolutely hate high blood sugars because of that and not to mention when you have high blood sugars while camping! Eeek! Also hate high blood sugars because it makes healing a piercing very difficult.. lost some battles with that. Kinda scared to go get a tattoo.

I love this thread good job Aidyn! Any speaking of Aidyn.. deff forgot about being broke and having this disease the costs are ridiculous!

9. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

• Peoples grandparents (no, i don't want to hear about your dying type 2 diabetic grandma who is missing 7 limbs.....)
    • health class (do i have to explain?)
    • Needlephobic people (Dont show me i'm needlephobic..... I have to look away i'm needlephobic....)
    • pasta (how many carbs?????)

10. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

Oh man, Daxdog, diabetes DEFINITELY makes me hate pasta! :mad: I stay far away from most cheap Italian food -- not because I don't like the way it tastes (I love it, too...) BUT because it'll spike my blood sugar just as much as dessert and I'd rather eat the dessert.

And people's grandparents... grrrr... "yeah my grandmother died of diabetes!" HOW CONSOLING IS THAT?!

missincali - ahhh, I just asked you about why you got rid of your piercings until I read this thread... YUP I'm a dunce! My eyebrow had some issues healing but I refused to let it go. I had this job earlier in the year that didn't like/allow my piercings, so I had to constantly take them out and put them back in to the point of where my eyebrow started getting infected again. I decided to take one of my syringes and shoot rubbing alcohol through the hole. It hurt, but it did the trick. :D

Diabetes makes me hate getting cut or bitten. My ankle got attacked by fire ants while I was mountain biking something like three weeks ago (maybe even a month) and I still have residual marks despite taking care of the bites and not picking at them at all. Mosquitos also really love me.

Um, diabetes makes me hate yeast infections :eek: AND I REALLY hate that time of the month because my blood sugars are just as unpredictable during it as they are while having a cold, making me DOUBLY moody.

Diabetes makes me hate mood swings even more, too. When I don't have the best control (or when IT is trying to control ME), I will sometimes become unnecessarily cranky towards the ones I love and I will snap at my co-workers to the point of where one of them even said, "Yeah, Aidyn's really nice... well... as long as her diabetes medication is working!"

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  11. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

*Tubing getting caught on doorknobs, chairbacks, etc.
    *People telling me what I can and can't eat.
    *Ignorant People.
    *People who keep asking me what my pump is.

I'm sure I have more but I can't think of anymore.

12. missincali

Ya.. deff hate yeast infections, kinda weird but thats actually how I found out I was diabetic (sorry if that was too much for some).

I also tend to hate new co-workers.. just had one who assumed all diabetes was the same and followed me around telling me what I can or cannot eat.. errrr :mad:

Hate meeting new members of families for the same reason.. assumption.. did anyone ever take health class????

Daxdog, really understand the grandparents thing. I hear that all the time.. I don't understand why people feel the need to share things like that.. again assumption..

so I guess I hate assumption LoL.

Aidyn, also responded to you on your page before reading this LoL.. woops.. Ya I never thought of doing the needle thing.. maybe if I feel like trying it again.. Not sure though.

ALSO... hate pharmacies.. feel like I live there!! It's sad when they know your first name and everything :rolleyes:

13. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

LOL!! GET THIS... I invited the pharmacy tech chick at Walgreens to my birthday party last month! THAT'S how much I go there :eek:

I hate assumption, too. I think I hate people's ignorant assumptions just as much as I hate the disease itself, if not even MORE.

OH, I forgot to mention this one:
    Diabetes makes me hate everything weight-related. I've struggled with body image issues since middle school, but diabetes made it even worse. When I was first diagnosed, my endo (at the time) put me on the same diet he was on (I believe he put everyone else on it, too...) It made me blow up. I've been on a fun little rollercoaster with my weight (always either skinny or chunky, never in between) that I finally put an end to last year when I hit my heaviest point (ironically while having great diabetes control), got disgusted with myself, got rid of 50 pounds, and started following a super strict diet + exercise regimen that I STILL follow... BUT... diabetes + (healthy) weight loss is a... thing that rhymes with rich!

Diabetes makes me hate driving.

Diabetes makes me hate rough fingertips. I compulsively lotion up my hands so that my fingers don't get hard and calloused... callouses are not so nice to touch AND they make testing more difficult.

Diabetes makes me hate dry feet in the summertime. I didn't know dry feet in hot temperatures were even diabetes-related until I read the recent thread.

OH! Diabetes makes me hate the HEAT in GENERAL! I don't know about ya'll, but hot weather has the tendency to drive down my blood sugars especially if I've been working out in the heat.

Diabetes makes me hate changes in altitude.

AND diabetes potentially makes me hate being COLD all the time! I have my suspisions that my constant shivering in temperatures that others consider normal might quite possibly be diabetes-related.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  14. missincali

Haha really?! Funny.. ya it's sad that they know me cool thing is I started to work at the grocery store where it is.. and now when I need something filled and forget to call in.. they got my back.. still sad in a way? I dunno

So whats this about dry feet and diabetes?!?!

15. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

Not sad, AWESOME! No more sad than me inviting the Walgreens chick to my party anyway ;)

Read the thread about dry feet... I am not entirely SURE HOW it is diabetes-related. I only started getting dry feet this summer and now that it is a little cooler, my feet are less dry, but I heard it happens crazy bad to some people who just so happen to have diabetes.

Oh oh, today I got reminded that diabetes makes me hate not getting enough sleep, too.

16. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I hate having to explain every 10 minutes to people who are clearly never going to get it but Pee me off so much I have the impulsive need to keep screaming and correcting them in till I end up telling them to shut up and walking away.
    Also makes me hate my earlier life for making this even more messed up with Eating disorder tendancies!

17. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I hear you there. I always seem to go low on Monday and Wednesday nights too, which really sucks because I have school at 8 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

18. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

--Math, even more than I already did
    --in a way, food. Sometime I REALLY hate food (not too often though)
    --doctors-they don't seem to know ANYTHING. Especially endo's, Go figure:rolleyes:
    --sweets sometimes. They tend not to agree with my blood sugars,even with insulin
    --Pizza I LOVE pizza. I now have a love/hate relationship with pizza

I'm sure there are others but I can't think

19. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

makes me hate, the fact that I have taken over 25,000 shots in 18 yrs
    I hate the expense, and fighting with insurance to get enough supplies , so I dont run out every month. Do they think I like testing 10 times or more a day?

20. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

You guys are great! :) I wanna put something in here, but you'll all doing such a great job! ;)

So I'll just sit back and read...