- advertisement -

Diabetes, growth hormones and ADHD meds?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Scoutjr, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Scoutjr

Scoutjr Approved members

An
    yone win the trifecta like us and willing to give advice?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I am sure members with similar challenges will respond. Also, at the top of the page is a "Search" function, and if you type in "ADHD" or "Growth Hormones", you can find threads discussing those topics. At the least, it will give you something to read while you are waiting for responses. :cwds:

Good Luck

3. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

I only have a perfecta (unless you count Sensory Integration Dysfunction and Dysgraphia) and we are only a few months into this, but I am happy to help in any way I can. My 13yr old son has ADHD and was diagnosed with T1 on 4/21/12 with a BG of 880 and A1C of 14.7. We were told by many sources that the ADHD medications do not interfere with the insulin or effect blood sugar. However, my son is a very fast metabolizer, always needing above the max dosage of his ADHD meds, and he is proving to need a pretty high amount of insulin- even in the "honeymoon". One interesting thing is that getting his blood sugars under control seems to have lessened his ADHD symptoms. His friends commented that "getting diabetes has made him less annoying"! We were actually able to reduce the dose on his Focalin and he seems to be doing fine. The ADHD is definitely there, but maybe a part of the symptoms were attributable to high blood sugars. Anyway, hope this insight helps! Jamie

4. Johan'smom

Johan'smom Approved members

We have all of the above as well....T1, ADD, lots of Growth Hormones (He grew 1-1/2 inches the last 3 months!!) as well as disgraphia, dyslexia and Auditory Processing Disorder.
    The last few months we are rarley out of the 200s and his inslulin needs are HUGE. We run out of insluin in his pump every 2 days!
    We have found the concerta does not interfere with the BG levels at all and also had the same comments from others that since T1 diagnosis, moods and behavior seem to be more in control.
    Johan will be 14 next month and broke his leg last week. He was due to leave to Diabetes Camp for two weeks on Monday and the Orthopedic Doctor told him he couldn't go due to the break being near a growth plate and being stuck on crutches.
    Now between the broken leg, hormones, missing camp, nervous about starting high school in the fall AND high BG levels - he is a MESS.

At lest it is somewhat cool in our part of the country :cwds:

5. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We have all 3, but not in 1 child. :p Our oldest is on Tenex (which is a non-stimulant) and has growth issues. We went non-stim because it doesn't generally have the decrease in appetite/weight loss associated with stims. We definately don't need him to lose more weight.

I have no idea how non-stims and t1 work though, as my T1 son does not have ADHD. I do hope you're able to find what you're looking for!