advertisement

diabetes family camp

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zimbie45, Feb 5, 2007.

1. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Hi all
    Well we have decided to do a diabetes family camp this summer in california..

http://www.diabetesscv.org/camp/cdetails.html#weekend

I did call them and you dont have to live in california to go.. It sounds like fun so i though id share

btw they have alot of other things availbe for all age groups !!!

2. pumpingdaughter

pumpingdaughter Approved members

Your family will have a great time! We did our first family camp last year (OR) Ella loved meeting all the other children with diabetes. The neat thing is that when we have those moments when she "hates diabetes".....I let her vent her thoughts then shift to what does she like about diabetes. Camp is always her first answer!:)
    Bonnie, mom to Ella age 4 dxd.Feb.04 pumping animas

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We're going to the Barton Camp in Mass for a 1/2 day program. I can't wait, it will be a perfect intro for the girls and ourselves.

4. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Cool. I didn't know there was such a thing for families living with diabetes. We already attend a family camp through the YMCA near the Boundry Waters but it doesn't specialize in diabetes (or any condition). I know the YMCA camp in Hudson, WI has a camp for diabetic kids (my hubby was a counselor there in the 80s) and when Teagan is old enough, she'll go, too! But what a great idea for the whole family. Have fun!:)

5. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

Here's the camp we attended last year:

http://www.dyf.org/

It sounds like it's near where you'll be, Zimbie! We met families from all over the country while we were there.
    It was nice to have the kids go off on their own with a counselor while we attended education classes and such. We learned so much! And meeting other families dealing with D was great. It helped so much to realize we were not alone. We're going to the Family Camp again this year, in July.

6. gsmom

gsmom Approved members

I had no idea that there were family camps either! Garrett went for the first time last year & LOVED it (Camp Granada, yes we've heard the song, in Monticello, IL by ADA). It was wonderful for him to see how "normal" he really is! I'll look into the family camps, too! Thanks for the info!

Jodi
    Mom to Garrett (dx 7/03) 11, Genna 9, & Gillian 6

7. Beach bum

There are some really cool ones out there. There's one for siblings, friends, caregivers, family. We will be participating in the Barton Center...http://www.bartoncenter.org/programs/familyretreats.php

They have a great site, and they also have locations other than MA.

8. beckybuckley

beckybuckley Approved members

are these camps good for the non-d siblings also? We've been trying to plan our next couple of vacations and very much considering wrapping it around a diabetes camp/seminar/whatever at the same time. But I'm very worried that my non-d son will resent it. He showed a significant amount of jealousy when his little sister was diagnosed, even to the point he wished he had it, too. He's much better with it now, but I'm not sure how much he'd want to spend some of his vacation time talking about diabetes.

9. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

We're hoping to go to this camp too!

10. Beach bum

I posted earlier about one we are going to visit. They offer several different weekend programs, one is for siblings and friends. Most try to do some type of family event.

11. Momto4

Momto4 Approved members

We are going to a family camp week-end at Camp Sweeney (Texas) next month. My daughter wants to go to camp there this summer and this is a great way for us to check it out ahead of time. Camp Sweeney does allow non-diabetic siblings to go to summer camp too so if we decide that she is going to go this summer, her twin brother will get to go as well. I have Spring Fever already and the thought of SUMMER makes me :D

12. zimbie45

Yeah we are very excited.. WHat we are going to do is go to this for the weekend, then im going to cont to drive down to sacramento from the camp and visit with my family for the week.. so i will get 2 vacations in one.. just me and the kids.. EEK .. but as far as the quesiton on siblings.. I am taking my non d son who is 3.... I am going to be talking to the camp today for more details of who, what, when ect.. and ill try to remember to ask more of what siblings will do.. this place has camps all over california.. teen camps, cruise, younger kids summer camps.. day camps... right now Charlize is to young to do the camp thing alone so this is the next best thing..

13. JenFur

JenFur Approved members

We love Family Camp too!! We have been there 3 years, missed last year tho. Not gonna miss it this year! Already signed up. :D

We go to Bearskin Meadow and love talking with all the families and seeing the kids playing together. Twinklet, which camp did you sign up for? It would be cool to meet you there.:)

Jennifer

14. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

Which camp are you going to? I am a counelor for a few different camps that the diabetes society hold and have attended them since I was 9. They are very fun and educational.

15. zimbie45

im going to the one outside of fresno, in july....

I talked to them today again and asked about the sibling thing... depending on the age they will go in groups to do things like arts and crafts, games and hiking.... they still have room not a lot though

Chandra

16. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

We're going to Family Camp 1, which is July 21-26. That's the only one we can attend because of school starting here in early August.

To those who asked about non-D siblings attending, I can only speak for Bearskin Meadow, although I'm sure most Family-style camps are very similar. Our youngest attended with us last year and was involved in her own group, split up by age. They had activities for non-D siblings all day. She had a great time and wants to come back this year.

17. JenFur

JenFur Approved members

Awww, shucks! Well, if ya need a place to stop to break up the drive there or home we are right in the middle, between the coast and camp. lol

Jen

18. Elias's Dad

Elias's Dad Approved members

Camp Nejeda

Our "family" had a great time at Camp Nejeda in NJ last summer... http://www.campnejeda.org/. I highly recommend it.

19. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

You guys will be going to the Hillbloom family camp. That camp site is so much fun, there is a beautiful lake to swim at and a rock wall and manyy other activities to keep the kids entertained. I will be at that camp statring the Sunday of the family camp for the week-long youth camp which is also a lot of fun.

20. Kenna's Mom

Kenna's Mom Approved members

sounds like fun!

We herd about camp when my daughter was first dx but she was only 13 months old,so we didn't go. She is five now so we are going to look in to going this year. I have herd it can be life changing!