- advertisement -

Diabetes documentary making rounds on Facebook

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Jul 29, 2013.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

I saw this today, posted via Upworthy. Seems interesting. Anyone know about these researchers? click here

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Made me really sad, I hate being reminded how bad diabetes is. Bc I don't usually dwell on this or spend time resenting diabetes.

I think the one guy called it - spending your life not dying. :(

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Good trailer! I look forward to the film!

4. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Very sad and optimistic at the same time...

Can we really get handicap pass at Disney????

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think this article is helpful in understanding the research on encapsulating islet cells in general.

Does anyone else recall seeing that mom and daughter in a different Type 1 film? Same footage, different narrative? I'm sure I have, I just can't place it. Odd...

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

Not really. A Guest Assistance Card (not a handicap pass) at Disney is meant to address a specific need. So, if you have a specific need you would go to guest services and state your need and they would tell you what they can do to fix that need. You may have a situation where you can't do stairs, and they'd give you a card that stated "no stairs". At each ride the cast member decides how best to fulfil that card, and from day to day, from hour to hour, that need could be filled in different ways. For people who feel like they can't wait in line (eyeroll) they often now give you a return time fast pass with the length of wait for the current line. But just having diabetes (or any disability) doesn't necessarily get you a pass and most certainly it isn't a front of the line pass.

I'm always curious as to why people with diabetes need (or think they need) a pass. And I found it really disgusting that that little girl proclaimed the best part of diabetes is getting a pass. What a great message to teach her.

7. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Saw the trailer - cant wait for the film. Islet film looks neat - just windering how it works:confused:

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

I was also a bit shocked at the girl's comment about the Disney pass. And couldn't help but chuckle at the guy with the pod on that started screeching in the middle of a meeting. I know, I have a strange sense of humor. :p But in reality, instead of running home in a panic he should have carried an extra one (or two) with him. ;)

The movie DOES look interesting and look forward to seeing it.

9. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Yep. I kept saying "Dude! You should carry an extra pod with you!"

10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

Those on the Omnipod realize that the "screech of death" can occur at any time, sometimes (a lot of times) for no rhyme or reason, which is why I don't know of many OP users that don't carry extra pods/insulin with them. ;)

12. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I don't remember the mom and daughter, but the scene with the guy getting into the MRI machine is from that Type 1 Team movie. Also the scene with the upclose insulin injection following right after.

All aside, the islet sheet thing sounds interesting!