- advertisement -

Diabetes Camp Surprise

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lindy, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

We have filled out the paperwork for camp this year and have received the acceptance package back. Reading thru the material I was a little surprised to see that they are asking the campers to consider taking a pump break the week they are at camp. And, they are asking that kids NOT wear a CGM to camp. I was surprised!

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That's curious. Did they state a reason why?

I'd be concerned as to why they are saying no CGM's and not giving a valid reason...

3. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

Audrey's camp allows pumps, but not CGM's.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son always takes a pump and cgm break at camp. For him it's sort of a vacation from being connected to stuff, yet he has lots of support to manage things at the same time (without mom bugging him on top of it all!). They do midnight checks (and more if needed) and are closely monitored.

Mostly he is so active during camp that a pump/cgm would be a hindrance, so he likes to just go on shots for the duration.

5. Beach bum

What is the camps reason? I'm curious, is it because all the kids who would be alarming? Possible lost transmitters? I know our camp uses one standard meter, so it would make sense because you can't have on standard transmitter.

6. suz

suz Approved members

I have heard of this before. Not sure of the reasoning behind the pump, but for the CGM I suspect it's probably because they don't want to risk the kids losing, breaking them or getting them wet.

7. MorgansDad

MorgansDad Approved members

Our camp allows pumps, but my DD stopped wearing it and went to shots because the pod would not stay on with all the activity. We picked her up and she said that she wanted to stay on shots and we said fine. Then we went to lunch and she got a sub, chips and a cookie and I asked how much of it she was going to eat. She said I'm not sure, just give me half. I said you cannot do that unless you want two shots and she said I guess I do like the pump better. Plan on going back to shots for this year's camp...

8. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

Our camp doesn't allow CGM's either...well they do but they will not manage them at all and it is the child's responsibility to respond to alarms and make sure they don't lose the receiver. I don't really have a problem with it because there are so many people around that know what they are doing and they are checking often enough I'm not worried about constantly monitoring.

The only pump restriction for us is that they have to have been put on the pump more than 3 weeks before the start of camp. Last year it was a rush for us to make sure he started in enough time but it worked out fine in the end.

Maybe it's just more complicated and they don't want to deal with it? But they can easily turn basals down if they are running low from all the activity where they can't do that on MDI. Hmm...

9. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

The camp my dd attends will allow CGMS but ask parents to sign a waiver of financial liability. The medical director encouraged us to consider a pump break, but dd nor I have any interest in a break during camp.

10. Beach bum

That's what I'm wondering. Our camp suggests that you dial basals down, and our doc actually encourages it because of activity levels.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Oh geez, I would NOT be going to camp without my CGMS!

Guess it's lucky I'm a bit too old for camp, LOL. And when I went when I was younger, my BGs were more stable/predictable and I didn't use CGMS.

12. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

I vaguely remember hearing it discussed. I think it had to do with the fact that they wouldn't rely on the cgm and would always test with their standard meter anyway?

13. Beach bum

You've said it perfectly, they are sending the wrong message and it's really sad. Is this your first time dealing with this camp? I would voice my opinion and let them know how wrong they are.

They have you between a rock and a hard place. They offer your child a safe place to be free of worrying about diabetes, yet they don't want to deal with the worry of pumps/cgms either. So if you say absolutely not, my child stays on the pump, do they still abide by your wishes? Or do they not let your child participate?

14. jdeckhoff

jdeckhoff New Member

I see you are from WI, are you going to Camp Needle Point in Hudson? My son last went there in 2010 and they starting pushing the "pump break" the year before. We asked hi endo at Children's/St. Paul and he said NO, keep him on his pump. About 1/2 the kids showed up with pumps so I don't think it was very popular. Actually I am surprized they are still suggesting it.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I couldn't agree more. I frankly don't care what their reasoning is. My child would not be going to MDI or without his CGM at camp, period. MDI would be a particular deal-breaker. He would FREAK. OUT. if he had to get shots for a week and would view camp as a punishment. And banning CGM? Yeah, let's incorporate lots of activity and a completely new routine and take away the one thing that actually makes such situations easier and safer. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  16. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

Hi Nicky,
    Maybe we'll see each other again! W. is going the first week but just for the Sun-Wed plan. Is C is going week 1 too? If so, let's try to meet after drop-off? Would love to catch up.

Back on topic ....

I went back to check the documents as I didn't remember any red flags on this. My reading of it is that they recommend the pump break as an opportunity, but it is by no means a requirement. In fact, throughout the paperwork there a references to what pump supplies to bring, how they deal with set changes, etc.

We just heard a TeamType1 athlete speak at the support group last week and he spoke about how he went on and off his pump and CGM depending on what his activity level was and other factors. It was an eye-opener for me to make sure that we support W to get some practice with those options before he leaves home (when he is 35:rolleyes:). I can see how camp would be a great place to do that, given all the experience there. My MDI-management experience is now a pretty distant memory!

We're not going to do a pump break this year (there is enough going on with the first time away from us)... but I can see doing it a couple years from now.

And for the CGM, if you really want to, you can have him keep on his CGM but you'll have to sign off on the waiver that says 1) they are not responsible for damage, loss, etc to the equipment and 2) that they won't make dosing decisions based on the CGM data. Both seem reasonable to me.

I do plan to pull the CGM this year (and we have used it 24/7 for 5 years with no break) as I think he will welcome the break and I trust them to test often and as needed.

17. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

My daughter wouldn't go if she had to give up her pump.

They always cut the settings by half the first day and start working back up because they know the kids will be so busy.

18. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

What?? that sounds strange. Did they say why they didn't want the kids to use insulin pumps or CGMS? Ashleigh went to camp last year and most of the kids wore pumps. I think there was only 1 girl in Ashleigh's cabin that was on MDI.

19. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I MAKE my girls take a break from the cgms! We have lost 2 sensors in the lake, at the cost of $300 each! You can see them at the bottom of the swimming pool, not the lake!
    Tubing, canoeing, sunscreen, giant slip slides, pool games, water balloons, horses, mountain biking, etc....no way a sensor is going to stay on for all that!

20. Ali

Ali Approved members

Do you mean transmitter? I pay out of pocket for sensors and the are $35.00 each from MM. Have not bought a new transmitter in three years so do not know the cost, but 3 to 4 hundred at least sounds right from MM? Hope someone else can chime in on out of pocket costs. Agree that I would not want my kiddo losing the transmitter.:eek: Ali