- advertisement -

Diabetes Camp Questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Thoover, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Brittney has decided she wants to go to Diabetes camp this summer for 1 week. That is 1 week overnight. I am FREAKING out here.. I haven't been away from her that long with or without Diabetes involved.

Questions: Can your child contact you during that week in camp? And what are your experiences from your children who have attended D camp? What is the one thing that your child loved the most about it?

*** I KNOW she will probably have the time of her life and meet people out there that have diabetes which she doesn't know many maybe 2 here in Maryland that she knows. I haven't expressed my state of Panic infront of her cause I want her to adventure out and try new things that I know she would love.

2. Steff

Steff Approved members

This is the first year my son is old enough to go. I'm really nervous about it too. I 'm glad you posted the question can't wait to see what others have to say.

3. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

How do you find out about these camps?
    Do they vary from state to state? We live in Indiana.
    My son was dx just 6 months ago and we don't know how to find these things out. I think my son would enjoy something like this, it would give him an opportunity to find new friends maybe that have diabetes. (he knows noone else with diabetes right now).
    I'll be watching this post also!!!

Thanks for posting, what a great question

4. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Tracy~
    I was in your shoes less than a year ago. I was petrified to send Abby to diabetes camp. But I knew in my heart it's one of the safest places for her to be. Abby needed it and I needed it. She had sooooooooooo much fun!!!
    Abby can't wait to go again this year.
    No Abby couldn't call home- but we (as parents) were allowed to send emails that were delivered nightly. Abby wrote me one letter that was only 2 sentences long because she was sooooooooooo busy.
    Please look at this thread when you have a minute.
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=19257

5. pookas

pookas Approved members

My son was 7 yrs old when he went to D camp last yr [turning 8 the following month]. He had SOOO much fun that he forgot to miss me. His cabin had 8 counselors to 10 kids. I had NO worry in the world when he was there and NO he could not call me and I could not call him, the whole independence thing. I was able to send emails every day that they printed out for him every day, but other than that NO contact which is good for them. They have a doc and nures 24/7. He met alot of great kids last yr and he was kind of their mascot [the little kid] He is going this yr again and he iwll have such a good time!!! When I went to pick him up they gave me a run down of the whole week and the nurtitionist assigned to his cabin tried to get him to eat some veggies....was a no go but at least they tried =) OH BTW he goes to Camp Victory [SETEBAID HYDC camp in Millville, PA]

6. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I went to Dcamp when I was 15 which was my first and last year because I was too old to go back. It was great! I'd love to go back as med staff when I get my CMA. I don't know about other camps, but we were allowed to request postcards and stuff, and our parents were allowed to send us emails that they printed and gave to us. At Texas Lions Camp they also post daily pics so parents can see how their kids are doing and how the camp is going. Don't worry! (although my mom did :p) They'll have a blast! It's great to spend time with a whole bunch of kids who are the same as you. At dcamp the counselors are the people who are "different" not us kids, and it helps a lot to feel that diabetes is the norm.

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Morgan goes to TCDC every year, for 2 weeks overnight. It is the single most important thing I have done for her as a child with diabetes. The friends she's made, the things she's learned, and the mentors she's found have made a profound influence over her life. I can't wait for Zoe to go this year! And no....I didn't talk to her for 2 weeks. It was toture the first year, bliss the second. :)

8. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Abbey was 9 when she went to camp, 7 months after diagnosis. She attended an ADA camp. I could not call her, but they sent 2 video emails and both emails I kept because she was jusy giddy and her face so full of joy. You can send letters or postcards. Visit the ADA website www.diabetes.org for camp information, or the cwd website. This will be Ab's third year. The first year I cried the whole way home, last year my adult daughter and I dropped Ab off and then we went out for a grown up evening out and celebrated my freedom. It is a vacation for you, too. If your child can't be safe there, she can't go anywhere. I think they come home a little different-in a good way.

9. pookas

pookas Approved members

Marcia, I can totally relate I had NO worries w/ Hunter at camp and DH took my other DS camping was a nice time for "alone time" for me...both kids taken care of and me at home ahhhhhhhhhh =)

10. Christopher's Mom

Christopher's Mom Approved members

Camp

Hi-
    Chris was diagnosed in Jan 2008. We were lucky because the camp my kids went to -Camp Copneconic is the ADA Camp too! When Chris was in the hospital and I was surfing the net and found out our local camp - MIDICHA was at Copneconic, I couldn't believe it! We talked that night how cool it would be to go to Camp MIDICHA since he was familar with the Camp. However, Chris had only gone to the Day Camp before.

He wasn't sure he wanted to go to over night camp last summer. We didn't push it - we thought he could try it the next summer. Well, at the last moment Chris decided he wanted to go. Chris was the last one signed up!

Roger and I were a bit nervous, especially since it had only been 5 months since he was diagnosed. Well - it turned out GREAT! :)

Chris had a great time and we had a chance to relax and sleep-in (hope that doesn't sound bad!)
    We had the same set-up as one of the other Posts. We didn't call - but sent e-mails. Chris loved getting mail everyday. And the Councelors told tons of pictures and we could log on each night and see if we could find pics of Chris.

This summer Chris is going for both weeks and can't wait. Once again we are abit nervous but for a different reason. Chris is going to start pumping in a few weeks. We have it, but waiting for the training. Roger and I have confidence in the Camp that they will do everything for him. But... it is still hard!!!
    Hope this helps.
    p.s. I will be putting up Christopher's pic soon!

11. muddymessalonskee

muddymessalonskee Approved members

My 15-yo daughter has gone to Camp Adventure in Maine for the last three years (I think), and is signed up again this year. No contact with home at all from Sunday afternoon through Friday morning. She always has a fabulous time hiking, biking, boating, swimming, body surfing (or whatever it's called) through rapids. I wish my son had wanted to go, but he thinks it would make him a "diabetes object". (i know, I know...)

Deborah

12. hughsfan30

hughsfan30 Approved members

My son went for the first time last year and I feel your pain, I was a mess the second night! You are able to write them letters but by the time they get them they are usually coming home.
    Jacob had a blast and made so many new friends. When we went to the orientation here in town he looked around the room at all the kids and whispered to me "mom, these are my people!" Right then I knew he should go.
    Your child will be in excellent hands. Alot of the counselors at these places are diabetics themselves. They are also pretty good with special requests, like at the time we were checking him in the middle of the night so I asked they do the same and it was no problem!
    Now he cant wait to go again this year!

13. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Christian went for the first time last year and he loved it. He really liked the fact that he didn't have to carry any supplies with him. The cabin nurse carried all supplies. He couldn't contact us during the week but that was ok. When we dropped him off we met with all his cabin counselors and nurses. It there were 4 boys in his cabin and 5 counselors so it was one on one. I had never seen so many camp counselors.

Christian had a great time and really loved every aspect of camp. He didn't have to do any calculations, they did everything.

14. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Manning went to Camp Joslin in MA. last year, was just 7. He stayed for the week, never even slept at Gramma's before this. It was hard but so glad we let him go.

As for communication, Camp Joslin allows you to e-mail them and they encourage the camper to e-mail back. I sent e-mail everyday and only received one back. He was so busy, having tons of fun that it was the last thing on him mind. He did have a hard time at night, the counselors were great in comforting him.

He returned with a new sense of confidence, this is where he learned to give his own injections, being with others his age who 'get it' , knowing he is not alone (no other 1's at his school).

Being a very active boy he loved all the activities and enjoyed trying new foods too.

He is going again this summer for a week, he can't wait.

15. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Thank you all so much. She wants to go for a week. Next month when we see her Endo, she is the one that keeps mentioning it to Brittney. She will be there as well if we choose the one up North of Maryland. She will know her Endo which is a good thing but Oh My gosh my stomach has knotts. Would if she dreadfully wants to come home. Which I know she won't.

Thanks you all for your responses and positive notes. I see all your children had a great time. It makes me feel better that I wasn't the only parent in a state of panic..

16. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

You can google Diabetes camps in your area. Also ADA has them posted. Talk to your Endo. Our Endo mentioned it the first year Brittney was diagnosed and I was LIKE are you kidding me let her go.. lol.. I wouldn't let that poor girl out of my site which is not good.. All of the children and counselors at the camps have diabetes and are Endo's. So your child won't feel alone. I think that is why Brittney so wants to go because she can relate to the other kids there.. It still makes me sad, she was talking about going for 2 weeks straight.. I can't even think about that..