- advertisement -

Diabetes and School Athletics

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by curediabetes14, Aug 20, 2013.

1. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

My dd is 12 this is her first year playing schools sports. She has played little league forever and never had any major problems. Well she had her first day of volleyball tryouts yesterday and they did run them harder than what she is use to. She started throwing up (sugar was great and no ketones) after the running portion and of course this freaked her out. She hates to throw up. After she caught her breath she was fine. She loves sports but I know that she is not going to be able physically to do this every practice. I do feel like once she gets use to this she will stop vomiting. For those of you that have children in school sports do they require the same amount of running from you d child and if so what do you do when they get low and cant run.

Like I say this is the first time for schools sports and in little league she just took a break whenever she needed to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Most sports tend to have a week or two where they run the kids REALLY hard, on one hand to get them into shape but also likely to see who is really serious about the sport. We saw it more in football but even with volleyball this year they did 2 a day practices and were running hills and stuff.

In my experience after that first few weeks, not only did practices settle more into skills and general conditioning, but the kids adapted and were more fit, so we'd see less of the dramatic physical reactions.

I'm not advocating running kids till they throw up, so no one get all weird on me...but it does happen to kids who do not physically prepare for rigorous sports before beginning them. My kids tend to start their conditioning well before intense practices so neither of mine have gotten to the throw up stage!

All that to say that I do think she'll adapt and I also think that practices themselves will not be as intense as they are this first week. My son never ever asked for practices to be changed for him, but his coach was aware that if he ever chose to step out of any activity that he was to be respected for that need. I can recall exactly 2 practices in 4 years of football where he had to stop, both for lows. Generally he'll jog to the sideline, test and treat, and go back in quickly.

I'd make sure the coach is aware of her needs but I do think that things will settle after this first week and you won't see the intense physical changes. I'd encourage her to do some conditioning activities on non practice days and weekends though.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I agree with this (except for the bit about only unfit kids getting sick - I know a few track kids who are in brilliant condition but still push themselves so hard that they are sick)

If my dd feels unwell due to D she steps out for a moment to test/treat/check cgm/ Practice is practice and you are expected to do what is asked of you even with D. That said, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and most kids have some aspect of the conditioning pre-season that they struggle with. The goal is to get there, not always to start there.

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Our daughter did crew in college. Kids vomited after workouts! She had many friends who did track and vomited regularly! It just depends on the person and doesn't have much to do with T1D imo. She tried to be at 150 before...but many times she just had to eat something quickly and jump right into it! Not optimal, but it's a team sport and her boat wasn't going to wait for her to get her numbers up!

5. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

My son, non D, had his first official high school x cross country practice this morning. He is very fit and in shape. He came home, said he felt terrible and was nauseous and vomiting all morning. I think it was the heat and the intense practice.

Anyway, my D child, hana is a competitive swimmer. She's never vomited at practice, but she does occasionally go low (though thankfully not dangerously low). She gets out, eats or drinks. If she is in the 100s, she gets right back in. If she's below 100, she will wait a few minutes and go back in. Rarely has she had to sit out completey. I think twice this whole year her number wouldn't come up and she had to stop completely. It is what it is. For the most part, she carries on.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

DS plays football, basketball, and baseball and has played all three since the 5th grade... baseball since he was 4, however, his body reacts to each sport differently. He is usually high during the most aggressive sports while he is active during them which occasionally makes him sick to his stomach or vomit. Never any ketones. Usually an hr or two after that sport his sugar drops quickly. DS checks between quarters and at half time. Still goes high anyway! During baseball though it is more controlled. Probably because of the weather that time of year and he isn't so aggressive! I think they learn to adjust and deal if they want to play those sports. They just have to figure out what works best for them during that sport! Good Luck and I hope your child stays encouraged to still compete!!!

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Danielle participates in High School sports and they do require them to run at each practice. But she can run at her own pace and has not had a problem so far. A few important things I think kids who are in athletics should do is check their bg before practice, consume extra carbs before practice if they know they will need them (trial and error), and if they are exercising and go low they should stop exercising treat the low and re-test before continuing. Hopefully all these things are discussed with the coaches/school personnel and the child before beginning a sports program so everyone is on the same page and your child can safely participate.

8. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Totally agree with Christopher. Have rowers in the family and almost all of the really hard sessions end with someone feeling ill. They have a saying "you are either a puk@r or a fainter" and just accept it! (I know - grotty bunch:D) almost a badge of honor! :rolleyes: Usually stops earlyish in the season.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yes - the vomiting was totally not a diabetes thing. However, in middle school I think that level of practice is extreme. We did not experience the after practice pukes (non-d kid) until high school.