advertisement

diabetes and Child Protective Services

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by YJC, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Charges have been found to be unsubstantiated. One of the things that was brought up was that fact that we don't keep him on his special diet on the weekends. This totally pissed me off but I calmly explained to the cps worker that he is type 1 not type 2 which does not require a special diet and that the person who contacted them had no idea what they were talking about when it came to type one. Evidently the principal has been reviewing his blood sugars and judging us on every one. I really feel like this may be a violation of privacy laws. Jared had an episode about 2 weeks ago were he over treated a low and we had to bolus to get him back down his bg went over 600 we aren't sure why it went that high we think he rebounded on top of overcorrecting. Anyway that is one of the thing that was brought up. One blood sugar over 600 in I don't know how long and suddenly we are medically neglecting him. For all they know we could have had a bad pump site. This is the kind of ignorance I am dealing with.mind you Jared's a1c is 8.0 and he is currently smack down in the middle of puberty and requires adjustments every couple weeks. I am so tired of people who don't know what the heck they are talking about telling me how to care for my son. We are going to call the ADA tomorrow and see what our legal options are because we feel he is being disciminated against. We have had alot of issue with them not following his care plan and the medical aid/ para that is working with him is clueless. They don't have a nurse.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

MAY be a violation??????? It is absolutely one. I would shut this down so fast it would make his head spin. In addition to the ADA, as swellman suggested I would have documentation from his endo, input from an attorney, and just since the Principal is stepping so far out of bounds, I would contact the local news to get them involved. Nothing like seeing your face and your school on the 5 O'Clock News to put you in your place.

Normally I am a big advocate of doing everything you can to work with the school personnel and have a good relationship with them. But this is just so far out there that I think that ship has sailed.

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. swellman

swellman Approved members

Sound/Video Bite from the 5 O'clock news: School Principal: "I was just doing what I thought was best for the child." <look of utter shock and dismay on face>

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

Either he goes or you go, is my advice.

5. Disgusted

Disgusted New Member

My advice to a CPS worker....
    I am a grandparent of a diabetic child currently being investigated by CPS AGAIN for medical neglect with type 1 diabetes. He has been to the hospital 4 times on his death bed....the mom don't take him to his DR and that was investigated a couple years ago with nothing done. The mom don't go to the hospital until CPS gets involved even when he is hospitalized. She manipulates CPS over and over. She gets angry when CPS gets involved but acts like mother of the year with them. She says, that worker don't realize this isn't my first rodeo with them, I... know what I have to do to make them go away. He says hes getting shots without sugar being checked...this could KILL him...he is always out of supplies when sent to family and friends house...cant check sugar with no strips, cant give shots with no insulin....sometimes 1 needle tip for a month...he for one....almost died this time....and two has a severely enlarged liver AGAIN...and this time they don't know if he will survive it....hes only 10 and so innocent.....I feel like CPS wont save this kid or try until its too late...I feel so helpless! Then she is always telling him its HIS fault his sugar is out of control....I wish someone could help me to help him but once again his life is in CPS's hands and they have failed him over and over. He will according to his DR prob end up getting his limbs amputated or going blind and he don't deserve all this for his mothers neglect. CPS asked the mom to take of drug test which she declined bcuz she knew she couldn't pass one......
    If I could say anything to a CPS worker....its talk to all immediate family...not only the ones in the house, immediate family members that care for him will be more likely to be honest and not cover for the parents, when there are no supplies or about other emergency situations.
    In an abusive situation im sure u know that parents will scare children from telling the truth....he says the kids were told that CPS are bad people that want to take kids and put them in homes with wierdos and they will have no toys. food or tv. That they will be nice to u to get u to say bad things about ur parents so they can take u....That they will separate the kids.....That CPS stands for Child Punishment Services...or in my situation...that they will be beaten of they say anything bad......Please KNOW the scare tactics bad parents use.....don't just verify that they make it to an agreed upon appointment ask the Team how he is doing. If the sugar is out of control a lot ask why he isn't on a pump that helps keep it normal...ask the DR to see how often sugar is checked by checking his meter....ask if he has high keytones which tell u its regularly high sugar......my grandchild will probably die....bcuz she is a master manipulater....take what the parents say with a grain of salt.....see if u can back up anything she is telling u with other family preferably outside the household....watch for the excuses to change when she realizes what she told u doesn't cover the situation. Get hospital emergency room records.....he has been in 4 different hospitals with sugar over 750. I take care of him and yes he is occasionally high...but it is immediately taken care of and hes never been hospitalized in my care or any other family members care. Most importantly be very thorough.....realize that that childs death may be on your hands if you drop the ball.....thank you so much for asking to get educated about this!!!
    There are a lot of good people struggling to deal with their childs diabetes....they will be taking their child to the endocrinologist EVERY 90 days for insulin adjustment, their meters will SHOW they have been regularly been checking their sugars, they will ALWAYS have insulin, needles and strips for their meters....they will take steps, such as getting pumps to help regulate it, getting their eyes checked for damage, sending the child to diabetes camps to learn more about their disease....yes they may still have high sugars....but they probably wont have keytones in their blood, they probably wont be being hospitalized regularly, they WONT have enlarged livers...and they probably wont die because they have done all these things.....again thank you for attempting to truly protect these children!!!

6. Disgusted

Disgusted New Member

Also ask the DR what his A1C number is.....my grandson's is regularly 14-16 it should be 6 according to the DR....this means that over at least the last 90 days he has been regularly super high. whenever it is above 6.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello and welcome to the site. Just so you are aware, this thread is aprox. 6 years old so the original poster is most likely long gone.

As to your comments above, it sounds like your daughter (daughter in-law?) is not only severely mismanaging her son's diabetes, but is also abusive in general. Is it that she doesn't have the money (or education) to properly care for his disease or does she purposefully want to hurt him? Sorry you have to witness that.

As to your comment about his A1c, a doctor recommending that a 10 year old child with Type 1 should have an A1c of 6 seems a little unrealistic to me. I guess it is a great goal to try and achieve, but I think it would be very difficult, especially with the lack of care he is apparently receiving now.

8. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I was one of those parents. It took me NINE MONTHS to clear my name.