- advertisement -

Dexcom "???"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHS22, Mar 26, 2014.

1. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times, I searched and couldn't find anything!
    We jsut put the dexcom on E for the first time, YAY. Did the 2 hour wait, did her two blood sguars, entered them in. We got readings for about 30 minutes, and since then it says "???".

Its getting transmission.

Any ideas what it could be? The manual just says "unknown reason, may take minutes or hours to resolve"...

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

On any Tylenol? or other meds?

If I got ??? soon after insertion I would be trying to hydrate to cross that off as a possible reason. Make sure that the transmitter is on correctly seated.

I would give it a little while I find ones on her booty tend to do this more than arms or legs, I think it takes longer for it to "wet".

Also sometimes if you calibrated when BG was quickly moving it will go to ??? as it trys to figure it out.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My guess, given that it's your first one, would be that you might not have applied enough pressure to seat the transmitter in the sensor.

Hope it resolves itself. Good luck!

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes this is what I was thinking.

make sure that the plastic legs of the sensor are holding onto the notches/flat tabs of the transmitter. The legs should be on top of the transmitter holding it down.

5. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Thanks ladies!!!

No tylenol, gave her huge glass of water... the transmitter was on properly, yay! We have had a few readings, then back to ??? but then she's been up and down, so I think we started it/calibrated it when she was swinging wildly??? Will it settle out??

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our experience is generally that ??? means that sensor has gone to ****. I would pull it, but I have zero patience for the ???.

7. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Hahah Hawkeye I almost did - I was watching the dex like crazy, willing it to give me a #!!! But, after about 2-3 hours it seemed to sort itself out and is working perfectly now!!!

8. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Our first few sensors did that. Turns out there wasn't enough fat in the stomach area and we didn't pinch up enough, so the sensor was probably in muscle. It did that the first 5 days, ??? for a few hours, then readings for a few hours, then ??? for a few hours.

If you see that it doesn't settle down, try a fattier area. Dexcom still replaced the sensors, so call them in.

9. Mish

Mish Approved members

if we get ??? during the first day we also pull it. I have no time for that. We also call and get dexcom to send a replacement. :)

Now, on day 13 or 14, we often get ??? and that's normal. That's my cue to pull the sensor and start fresh.