- advertisement -

Dexcom?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Arleigh9003, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

My sons endo apt is in 2 weeks and I am going to ask about dexcom. Is there anything I need to know ? Good , bad?
    I am nervous that julien is so young and having two needles in him 24-7, it's concerning but just the fear I have every night should a check him again or not , especially when he is sick or going to bed with a lower or higher number . I just analyze it in my head over and over and end up not sleeping at all. And having an alarm wake me or let me know what his numbers are through the entire night.. Doesn't it outweigh the crappiness of another needle?
    I miss not feeling like I'm standing on a freakin cliff edge all the time!!! Stupid diabetes! Ugg

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Im on the dexcom system (not the new one though) and I love it:) there isnt really a needle in you for a week.... Just a wire:) and honestly you cant feel it once its in. im not sure how a two year old would handle it.... But I know there are some parents on here who have young kids on cgms, hopefully they will chime in.

3. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

I'll chime in! :) We started using a CGM at 18 months and it was the best choice we've ever made in terms of D care. Cost-Benefit analysis of extra site vs. improved care was and is not even close for us. The extra site is just another (sad) reality of where we're at with taking care of DD right now, but it has been more than worth it for us. It is not a magic bullet and takes time to get good at, but it is an invaluable tool for us. If you have any specific questions for someone with VERY little person T1D experience, feel free to let me know. Good luck!!!

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I ordered it and just told my 10 yr old that she needs to try this and see if we like it. It was so wuick and easy she had no problem. Your baby is little but all the better--I think you will love it. And watch this video b/c it is so cute and sweet and informative. It's posted on another thread. You won't regret it. :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5x4M9kg-BY

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Don't worry about the extra poke. My daughter doesn't even feel it half the time, and our current sensor is on Day 16. One poke every two weeks or so for the peace of mind...and saved finger pokes with lows is worth it.

My child is much older than yours, but even at her age, the peace of mind for me is tremendous. For her, she rarely, rarely has lows beyond the high 60s any more. The days of 50s that took two hours to recover from are few and far between. Growth spurts, etc. can be adapted for because you'll see them happening and temp basal (if you pump).

The benefits are so great. You'll love it. I wish we'd gotten one at diagnosis.

6. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

The benefits of the Dexcom far exceed the crappiness of another needle!

DD was 6 when she was diagnosed and we started on the Dexcom about 8 months later. The peace of mind that it has given us is incredible. I can't even imagine being without it...the 2 hour warmup after starting a new sensor seems like an eternity and I can't always wait those 2 hours before testing sometimes.

7. Tomdiorio

Tomdiorio Approved members

Our son was about 15 months when we got the Dexcom 7. Being little he doesn't have a lot of real estate on his body but we thought it would be well worth it. Unfortunately, we had to stop using it due to allergies. If we could we would still be using it. From what I have read, it has proven to help with better control of bg. So I would say try it out, without a doubt.