- advertisement -

Dexcom users - Am I doing this right??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tyson'smom, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Tyson'smom

Tyson'smom Approved members

Hi All! We started on the Dexcom on Friday. The trainer told us to do 2 finger sticks and record the results whenever the blood droplet appeared on the screen. My question is - should we be entering his blood sugar result every time we do a finger stick or only when then the blood droplets appear? Thanks!

2. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Do it when the droplets appear, OR if the finger stick is off by more than 15 points.

So as you are doing the finger stick, check the Dex to see if it is a match. It will rarely be the exact number, but it should be close. If the number is close, you don't have to enter it. If it's off, enter the meter reading.

A good tip though is to try NOT to calibrate when the blood sugar is changing rapidly. So if you see double arrows, and the number doesn't match, assume the Dex is predicting the trend accurately, but wait a bit until things level out to calibrate.

3. dianas

dianas Approved members

Two bg's at startup after that calibration every 12 hours is recommended.

I don't know that I'd do it every time you do a fingerstick although Dexcom claims that you can calibrate anytime and bg doesn't have to be stable like Minimed does. I was told by my Dex trainer that to calibrate at all levels is good meaning try to get in some calibrations at low ranges, normal ranges (if there is such a thing with diabetes) and high numbers too. I still try not to calibrate when blood glucose is changing quickly though. I calibrate in the morning, before dinner, and bedtime.

You won't lose readings if you miss a calibration.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I calbrate when it's convenient, honestly.. if you "miss" a calibration when Dex asks for one it's not a big deal. I've gone days and days without calibrating to see what would happen without any appreciable lack of accuracy... you just get "reminded" every so often.

I too avoid calibrating when my BG is going to be changing rapidly... Dex says you don't have to, but I think I get better results calibrating when my #'s are steady. I almost always calibrate with my fasting BG, and then again when it's bedtime, even though that's well beyond the 12 hours (12 hours after fasting is usually right at dinner time).. it's not been a problem. When I calibrate, if I get a # more than about 30 away from what the dex says, I'll retest to double check it.. more often than not, the second test is more in line with the dex than the first.

BTW, I have to add that the Dexcom system is pretty forgiving about calibrations - I'm pretty sure the others get VERY unhappy if you don't calibrate when asked to. The Dexcom will happily go on giving you readings forever.

5. Tyson'smom

Tyson'smom Approved members

Thank you so much for the info!! We are LOVING the Dex. It has been amazingly accurate. Of course I had to recharge the battery on day 2 because I couldn't stop turning it on to look at Ty's number!

6. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members