- advertisement -

Dexcom training?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by giddyup_go, Jul 11, 2011.

1. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

Did you go through any training first? Who did it, a Dexcom rep or CDE from your endo's office? Or did you just figure it out on your own and start it with no training?

I'm wondering because it seems very simple & straightforward. We live 230 miles from our endo's office and I'd like to avoid another trip over if I can help it. The Dexcom rep is also in that same town and doesn't travel this far. If we have to go through training we'll need to wait until September to start the dexcom and I'd rather start sooner if possible.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Read the manual and popped it on.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

No training for the Dexcom. Dexcom included a card to fill out about the online training that I coulda sent in for a raffle for a free box of sensors, but I lost it.

Minimed sent a trainer to my house and he did a ninety minute training.

The Guardian has way more features and reasons for a training.

4. giddyup_go

I saw the card in the box, so I will fill it out when we're up and running and send it in.

I didn't think I needed to go through training, and the guy that I had talked to at Dexcom when went through all of the insurance stuff told me I probably wouldn't. But the e-mail I got today from a different dexcom rep said that I would and to do it through the CDE's at our endo's office.

I think the on-line videos were sufficient. I don't know if there's anything different on the video that came with the kit, but I'll put it in tonight and find out.

Thanks!

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

I had minimal Dexcom training and it did not go well. A year and a half later I redid it with the Medtronic Sensor with a University Hospital as my team(who had lots of reasearch experience)and my experience and results were a complete success. I think a good training/set up session with an "experienced team" can really help. If that sort of Med help is not available then read everything on this site first and ask tons of questions on line to this group, on the phone to Dexcom, and on the phone to your Medical team. Ali

6. Tyson'smom

Tyson'smom Approved members

Training isn't necessary - I watched a couple of videos on Youtube of people putting the Dexcom on their kids. My favorite is "Superhero Dexcom CGMS Insertion" - check it out - the little boy is so cute at the end he says "That didn't hurt!"

7. giddyup_go

I love that video. I had my daughter watch it too. I told her that if a 3 year old says it doesn't hurt, then she'll be fine. :) She thought he was really cute too.