advertisement

Dexcom Touchscreen Receiver

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Apr 3, 2018.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter switched to the G5 a few months ago, but we didn't upgrade her g4 receiver to the being g5 as she used her phone. However, she's about to move out for the summer and then college and asked to have a g5 receiver. When she was away last summer, she found slipping the receiver into pjs would wake her to the vibration when alarms didn't at night. She's also working in an environment where phones are not allowed, and she preferred to use the receiver where it fit discretely in her pocket and she could punch the button at vibrate without having audible alarms going off.

Her new g5 touchscreen receiver arrived last night, and we are returning it. The device is horrible. I honestly can not believe Dexcom released such a step backward. It's touchscreen.....but you still have to scroll rather than type numbers, so there is zero benefit to having it be touchscreen. It's huge....the size of my iPhone 4...and will no longer easily slip into pockets. It has a SECURITY CODE like the tslim! Beyond ridiculous since it doesn't dose insulin like the t-slim....and it makes the ability to silence discretely impossible as ONE HAS TO TAKE THE DEVICE OUT AND TYPE IN THE SECURITY CODE TO SILENCE IT.

So, we're returning it to Dexcom, reclaiming our and our insurance money, and she'll rely on the phone and tuck the t-slim at night, even when she chooses to wear the pod. There's no way we're interested in keeping a device that is a design fail at so many levels.

I asked to be able to upgrade the old receiver and "that's no longer allowed" since g6 has now been released.

Dexcom has been beyond fabulous IMO up to this point, but this is a major fail. The sad thing is....we'd still like a quality receiver for phone backup. This just isn't it. I would be thrilled if they released the old receiver and allowed it to update for g5 and g6. It should be offered as option; obviously it was designed with the ability to upgrade since it's already been done in the past.

Edited to add: The screen doesn't stay lit and then won't light to even give the access code. The functionality is really, really poor.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. ChrisDadT1

ChrisDadT1 Approved members

Wow, makes you wonder who is designing these things. I'm sorry to hear about this and the situation it puts your daughter in.

Here's my thoughts:

Terrible!

So-so on that - allows for a larger screen that has a display more like the app, which is nice, but takes away from the previous convenient small design. If I had a choice, I'd rather have the small size with a touchscreen.

This is probably a good thing. Ever butt-dial someone? Imagine screwing up your calibration by accident. Could be a deadly mistake.

Understand your frustration. Cannot think of a good idea how to solve it except the obvious (keep alarms on vibrate, etc.) Maybe if it had a "silence alarm" button on the side that you could press to silence it wihtout taking out of pocket or going to the touchscreen.

Perfect plan - exactly what I would do in this situation.

So here's the thing - they may not want to send you an older G5 receiver since they are only pushing their new receiver, but that doesn't mean the old smaller G5 receiver wouldn't work. All you need to do is get one and pair it with your transmitter. People sell them on Amazon and Ebay. There's a used one on Amazon for $125.00. I know it sucks to have an extra expense and no warranty, but sometimes our kids safety outweighs all those negatives.

If I had an extra one I'd send it to you. Maybe there's someone on this board that has a used G5 receiver that they're not using anymore??? If so, please let MomofSweetOne know and maybe we can help each other out.

Hopefully someone from Dexcom reviews these boards and will see your comments.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members