- advertisement -

Dexcom Start

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dshull, Sep 9, 2013.

1. dshull

dshull Approved members

Hi,

My son is 8 and diagnosed just over a year ago. We started on the animas ping last week and so far we are all loving it. His numbers have been decent and he is just so happy to not need shots and to be able to snack so much more easily. Still need to adjust basals, maybe ratios, etc., but so far the start has been better than what I expected.

We started the process to get the dexcom as well, and it is scheduled to arrive today! My question is - are we crazy to start two things at once? I was thinking we could start dex on Friday and have the weekend to hopefully figure it out before sending him to school. Is that enough time? Will I lose my mind trying to learn two things at once. From the outside, the dex looks relatively easy to use, as compared to the pump. But maybe I am kidding myself?

Also - any advice on how to keep the sensor and transmitter in place? I have heard all kinds of advice, ranging from just put it in and keep it there for 7-10 days, to very elaborate ways of taping to keep it in place. My son is 8 and VERY skinny. He is using the animas contact detach steel needle sites for the pump because the angled sets would fall out of him. We've only done one site change but they seem to stay in place.

I know dexcom is not supposed to go in the arm, but that seemed like the best place to put it because our real estate for the pump sites is already limited.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I guess my only concern would be how well your child is handling the insertion process. Is it a bit of a drawn out process, or is it pretty no-nonsense? Because, while the insertion of the Dex is fairly painless, it is intimidating to look at. Would he put up with a whole other insertion process so soon?

If it were me, I'd probably get it all lined up, but then when I felt secure in doing all things pumping, I'd move onto the CGM. I know I would have been overwhelmed with all the data.

3. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We started our Dexcom not long before we started pumping and I felt like it was the best thing I could have done. To be able to be pumping, and at the same time seeing what the numbers where doing so you could make adjustments knowing what I call the "whole picture". I would definitely go for it.

I think Dex is very user friendly, and not hard to learn at all.

As far as sites go, we have only used the arm and it has worked great. We do one arm for two weeks, then switch to the other arm for the next two weeks.
    To help it stay in place we use the Opsite Flexifix tape all around the white part of the adhesive. I tape it on as soon as we insert it to help it to last longer.

with the tape we definitely get at least two weeks out of every sensor. We get the tape in a big roll from Amazon, and it is a huge roll that lasts forever.

Good luck with Dex - you will love it, and wonder how you ever lived without it. I wish they sent us home from the hospital with one :)

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I don't think so. You'll have the hang of the Dex in a couple days and you'll love it. Plus the insertion is painless, figuratively and literally. Good luck!

5. dshull

dshull Approved members

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming. So far we have done one site change and it went fine. Although with the contact detach, there is not really an insertion, it's just sticking a thumb tack like site on, no device needed to insert or anything.

I know that once I have it in my hands, I will want him to wear it so I can see what is going on. He claims to be on board, but he is 8, so he may change his mind!

6. Dave

Dave Approved members

CGM is a no-brainer compared to pump. You should have it up and running within minutes of the FEDEX truck visit. Pump basal rate is hard and I dont understand for the life of me why people dont ease into it using levemir or lantus. Getting a feel for the pump is tricky enough without jumping into basal calculus.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Really, the trickiest thing about the G4 is where you hold the inserter (hint- above the collar) when you plunge down. I watched a few YouTube videos - but even now I joke, " Not sure if I remember how to do this part" :p (always distracts her) she does everything but the plunge part, she could, but for now she likes me to do it.

But other than being a bit counterintuitive, once it's inserted and the transmitter is snapped in, honestly, your dog could operate it. :cwds:

8. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I didn't have time to read all the responses so sorry if I'm repeating what others have said.

I would say the only things you have to worry about are #1. is your son okay with another device on him and #2. will you be overwhelmed with all the information?

you're correct that the dex isn't complicated to use, but it gives you A LOT of information and that can be overwhelming. then again if it's getting to be too much you could always turn it off=)

I use the backs of my arms for my sensors and love it=D one of the huge benefits is that your son won't be able to see the inserter (it's kinda big and scary looking) But I also feel that it's more out of the way on the back of my arm=D