- advertisement -

Dexcom shopping advice

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Just Jen, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

Hi everyone,

This is Rick (don't want to get Jen in trouble!)

We're about one month into this diabetes thing with our daughter and I just found out about this DIB stuff. Yikes, scary! So anyway, thining about a GCM and the Dexcom G4 seems to get a lot of praise. I have yet to find out if our insurance will cover such a contraption, but I'm thinking probably not. So are there some places better than others to look for one? Can anyone point us in the right direction?

2. bluedevils_fan

bluedevils_fan Approved members

Contact Dexcom directly. They can email or fax a form that you fill out with information about your child and their doctor, etc. They also have you fill out and sign a form with your insurance information. We just did this about a week ago and the Dexcom will be delivered tomorrow. Imagine my surprise when the Dexcom rep called me to say that while they could provide the Dex for us, they were out of network and they had found a supply company in our network and forwarded our information on to them for processing. The new company then called me to say they could bill through DME or pharmacy. It was cheaper for us to go through pharmacy. The important thing to know, at least for us, is that Dexcom and the third party provider took care of all of the legwork. We didn't have to do anything at all! It may not be that way for everyone but for us it was an easy process.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've been using the G4 for about 18 months and we really like it. It's not an unusual "contraption", it's a tool that has been around for a decade or more and has with the G4 become more accurate, less painful and I suspect, more common.

Just a note on the whole DIB concern. Yes, it's real, but it's very, very rare and far more common in teens and young adults. Without diminishing the horrific toll it takes, I'd just say that as risks go, there are far, far more probably likely activities that kill kids, that your kid will partake in, i.e.. swimming, riding in a car, riding a bike and so on, by all means get the dexcom because it's a very helpful tool for managing D but don't let DIB become a driving force in your decision making.

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

There's only two CGMS systems on the market. I have used both now and can assure you that the Dexcom is the way to go. Most insurances cover them now, so go in with the idea that, "Hey, my daughter needs this to stay healthy, so it's insurance's job to pay for it," not, "This is a contraption I want- guess I'll have to buy it."

5. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Hey guys,

Unfortunately this is not something that you can just go to the store and purchase. You need to involve your endo to get a prescription. If insurance is involved the endo will need to fill out other paperwork as well. The best way to get things started is to talk with a human being at Dexcom. Do not use their website to get things started because it is a hopeless/error prone experience. Your data will get lost and you will wind up waiting longer than you should. Dexcom will help with all of the paperwork.

Yes there are dangers you now have to legitimately worry about. As parents of a diabetic child there are things you have to guard against that you didn't have to worry about before. Like anything we do, you take steps to reduce your risk. For example people wear seatbelts. They drive the speed limit. Doing these things reduces the risk of injury due to a car accident of any type.

Getting the CGM, and having the visibility into glucose levels (1 reading every five minutes) will significantly reduce your risk of many adverse events that can happen with kids and T1D, some worse than others. It will also teach you how your kiddo reacts to different types of food, exercise/play, and insulin. I have only been at this for 7 months, but at this point I feel that T1D is semi-random. There are a bunch of rules of thumb, but no 100% ironclad rule that always works. The CGM absolutely levels the playing field.

it gives you visibility and because of that visibility you get an additional amount of safety.

There is some factual information about DIB here
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0n_g00.htm