- advertisement -

Dexcom Share is Out

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Oct 20, 2014.

1. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I've very happy with their price - and it was actually cheaper than I expected because I had heard $400. If it wasn't for Nightscout, I would be trying to figure out a way to get them. The iPhones would be an issue for us because we've invested in Android phones to get Nightscout set up. I really don't want to buy iPhones for my kids, especially since the Nightscout uploader phones run about $60 now. It isn't incredibly convenient, but it is an official product backed by and warranteed by Dexcom, which is fabulous. Nightscout, at my house, is set up by me (and I am in no way a tech person) and all problems are handled by me. It's not ideal, though the online group IS incredibly helpful. The Share was my plan and I was expecting to get nothing more than sleepovers and parties out of it.

The advantages of Nightscout, for us:
    ~the kids can use them at school and at sports. With the plug design, Share won't have that ability as the kids change classes every hour and practices/games are often outdoors.
    ~it's less expensive. It's definitely more complicated but the pieces are cheaper. Cheaper phones, cheap cables, cheap bags. The disadvantage is the monthly phone costs, which Share won't have. We spend $12-15 a month for bare bones cell coverage.
    ~if I have a concern that someone is viewing their numbers (I can't imagine why anyone would...) I can change it on my own by making a new website easily enough.
    ~I can view the info in so many ways. I have a browser open in the bottom corner of my desktop at work. If the school calls, I can click and see history to use in decisions. If the kids are having a bad day and I want to stay in touch, I can wear my Pebble anywhere and see the number. I can look at it on my iPad, my phone, all of our computers, my watch. And my kids can wear Pebbles and never need to take their Dexcoms out (except to clear alarms)

We are not big users of Nightscout. My daughter takes it to school 4 days a week so that we can check in on her between school and her after school activities. My son takes it twice, I'd guess - once for an afterschool activity and usually another day because of wanting to watch the impact of basal changes. We use it for sports. And parties, sometimes. An hour or two here or there, school a few times a week, etc. It's one of those "really nice to have" things. For us, it's useful. Share would be useful, too, just not as much.

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My concern with the Share is that it becomes worthless to my family when the Vibe comes out. My DD has been anticipating not having to carry and maintain a receiver for a really long time. At her age having a backup at night would not persuade her to carry a Dexcom receiver once there is an integrated pump. I think a lot of older kids will feel that way.

I find Swellman's post important though. Smartphone medical devices have had a significant roadblock at the FDA. Share approval is a HUGE accomplishment for Diabetes technology.

3. timsma

timsma Approved members

I'm wondering if I'm understanding this whole 'share' thing correctly. If the person with D has the cradle for the dexcom, is it right that only the person that the info is going to is the one that needs to have the iPhone? Or do both people need to have an iPhone in order for it to work? Thanks for your help in clearing this up for me.
    I'm not actually interested in getting it as my son is 20, but a friend and I both have a different understanding of it and she is wanting it for her daughter.

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Yes you need two phones. One works with the cradle to transmit the data and one to receive the data.

5. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I was not able to find the apps in the App Store (10/20 at 10:30 pm eastern). I was curious about the alarms. Hopefully they will make use of the iPhone speakers.

6. Jordansmom

The website says the app will be available Oct. 22nd.

7. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I was thinking this too, however I was told by somebody (Animas or Dexcom rep, can't remember...and you'd have to ask them) that with the vibe one can still also use the dexcom receiver. So, for example if you don't hear pump alarms well at night while your child is sleeping you could have the sensor reading to the dexcom receiver and have that in the share dock sending the info to an i-pod touch (iphone) and then to your device. You could then switch back to the pump receiving the info during the day with just a few pushes of the buttons. I think in this way the share would be helpful for my family. We were just discussing how this would help the grandparents feel more comfortable about having sleep overs with our little t1d dude...since they haven't happen yet. And eventually it would help me feel more comfortable with him having sleep overs in general :)

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I am very excited about this for my daughter, I had actually forgotten about it for a while until I got word yesterday. With my daughter living away from home, it has been very tough for me not knowing how she is doing and constantly asking for info is a pita. And she is happy to be getting an Iphone upgrade because you need a 4S or higher and she now has just a 4. Yes, I wish it would work outside the home too, but I will take what I can get, and I don't want to deal with a complicated set up, especially with her not living with us. It has been very challenging to train staff on the diabetes needs, and I have pretty much had to make them back off, because they were far too in her face about her control. To the point of waking her up at night to test for no reason many times, ugh. After just over two months, we are getting a new staffing company so starting over again, so the timing of this is perfect!

9. Jordansmom

Dexcoms now can send data to two receivers at the same time. It probably won't take a push of any buttons to have the Dexcom send to the receiver and the pump. But the receiver and pump will both have to be calibrated twice a day and if the receiver doesn't receive data on a somewhat consistent basis it won't be trending accurately. So the question for me then would be how accurate would a receiver be at night if it sat in the share dock all day while she was gone using her pump for readings? And would she be willing to calibrate it twice a day as well as her pump? It is a possibility used that way.

10. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I was just looking at this last night. The cradle needs an iPhone or iPod touch within 15 ft of it. I think that is a deal breaker for us. Another iPhone is a big expense. I'm Pretty bummed.

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

If I didn't have nightscout, then yes, I'd want share for when I'm at work or out and dd is home. I'd want to see what her bs is without having to call and ask. However, nightscout blows share out of the water in pretty much every way. Nightscout is portable. It's just a small phone connected with a short cord to the dex receiver and worn in a spibelt or stored in her d kit. We use it all day. At night I get good reception just having the dex on my own nightstand so I use that time to charge the phone. Our "rig" is not nearly as bulky as the triangle shaped share cradle. You can set up nightsocut for 100 bucks. I can change the website info if I want though there's really not personal info there. And being able to use the pebble watch to view bs on my wrist and for dd to view her bs on her wrist and send and receive texts is very very nice. And I havent' used the log yet but wow, it is really a nice feature. Yes it has bugs now and then but it's totally worth working it out.

I do appreciate that eventually, dex may catch up with nightscout. I like that they set a reasonable price, not like medtronics $3K solution to not giving the gaurdian the range it should have had in the first place. (I'm still mad about that. :) ) At some point dex with make their thing portable and it will be more useful--still not as great as nightscout though with the pebble, the log, the price, the access to data from any internet device (laptop, desktop, tablet, smartphone, kindle fire, xbox, wii or any other way you can get online), etc. But I do appreciate the effort that getting this done took dex.

If the nightscout folks were selling a product rather than simply giving away their time and effort as they are, then they might have the money to put security systems in place and maintain the host sites properly. But since it's free, they have to set it up so that it uses the least amount of data so it doesn't end up costing users anything. Not selling a product or service means no money for extras. It's a definite drawback. I really hope that the nightscout folks manage to make some money off of their efforts b/c they deserve it. But doing it ourselves mean that if we can think it, we can do it. No buerocratic obstacles, fda, etc to say hey you can't have a log b/c your data's not secure. Nightscout leaves it up to you to decide how you want to use the system.

12. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

BTW, nightscout does not void the dex warrenty. The dex port is fragile and can break through lots of use or rough handling. True that with cgm in the cloud, it is connected to a phone all day, but that's why we all take great pains to "support the port." However, if it breaks and is under warrenty it is still covered. And since we don't actually do anything to the dex then we aren't doing anything to void the warrenty. The programmers wrote code to use and display dex data, but not to alter the dex itself. I know there is talk that you may be voiding the warrenty by not usin git the way it is intended, but that is just legalise to protect our nightscout gurus and to make you understand that you are not buying an off the shelf product and have to own up to being responsible for using and managing this free system. There is no one who has a broken port for a unit under warrenty that has been denied a replacement for it.

13. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Since the share uses the same port to dock I'd assume you'd have the same fragility issues you have with the nightscout.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

So you mean people have broken the port through the use of night scout, and told Dexcom that is how they broke it, and Dexcom did not consider that voiding the warrantee? Wow, that would be hard to believe.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I suspect that people are not specific about how the port broke. We had to have our t:slim replaced because the charging port broke, and no one ever asked me how it happened. (Which was nothing nefarious. It just became incredibly difficult to charge over time.) If I had to replace our Dex because of the charging port, I wouldn't volunteer any further information, and I suspect that Dexcom would not play 20 questions with me over it.

ETA: For us, Nightscout probably prolongs the Dex charging port life, because we never, ever, ever unplug it from the phone, and the whole rig stays completely stable in its little case. When we charge, we unplug the cable connecting the Dex to the phone from the phone, and charge the phone. Then we reconnect the cable to the phone. The phone charges the Dex, so there's never any reason to disturb the Dex charging port.

16. Jordansmom

I would also say the charging port is too fragile by design. We have a receiver that was out of warranty by a few days and the metal part came loose. My DD is not rough with her Dex and charges it the bare minimum to keep it running. I couldn't do anything about it out of warranty. But I'd be very angry if Dexcom raised an issue about replacing a receiver with a broken charging port. Its a weak point in the design.

17. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

^^ THIS^^

since we put DD's rig together, I have never pulled out Dex from it's case. Once DD went over to a sleepover and the mom pulled out dex from the case. When DD came home I was a bit freaked that the port would be messed up. She pulled it out because that was the night Nightscout SAVED DD's life. I woke up a 2 am like clockwork, checked nightscout....DD was a 45 with a straight arrow down. I had to call over to the friend's house because DD was not answering her phone. The mom was very, very, VERY helpful getting DD's glucose back up and even stayed up with Dex to make sure DD didn't drop.

As other's have already mentioned on this thread, there is no way the new Dexcom Share is on the same level as Nightscout.

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

I was wondering how that worked. I'm looking into getting this set up before tennis season in the Spring and was worried because of how fragile the port is. I like this idea.

19. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Did the nightscout alarm go off?

20. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Yes it was going off. DD didn't hear it. :frown: The mom said she didn't hear because their whole house fan was on. It was really me waking up and checking nightscout that alerted everyone dd was low.