- advertisement -

Dexcom Sensor Trial Questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by redcurls3, Jun 20, 2011.

1. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

I thought I would post this in this forum as it tends to get more traffic. First, I know some of you know our background, but I will give a short version before I ask the question. Our son is 6 years old and has Neonatal Diabetes. It is the kind which responds to pills and he transitioned back in January of 2007. With the exception of occasional growth spurts, we've never had a lot of blood sugar fluctuation since he transitioned. Back in February of this year, he had a sinus infection and was put on amoxicillin. For some reason this caused a major reaction where he was having lows. We fought the lows (sometimes in the 40's for hours) for about 6 weeks. Eventually he started leveling off and we have been slowly increasing his meds.

Now we are about to try him on some ADHD medicine (probably Focalin?). The endo and neurologist are working together on this and have decided to put him on a Dexcom CGMS for a trial period of about 5-7 days. My question is this, where does the Dexcom go? How long do the sensors last? More importantly, how do you keep them on a child who may be sensitive? He has sensory processing disorder and I haven't had to put anything on him like a pump since he was 21 months old. I am scared that this may be a very stressful procedure for him and I'm also scared that he may try to scratch at it or pull it off. His mentality is closest to a 2-3 year old so it's not like we can reason with him or talk to him logically. But I also want to do the trial because I am scared of missing lows if the new medicine does have some sort of interaction with his blood sugar. There is only one other child like my son who has gone on ADHD medicine while on glyburide and he had no interactions, but every child is different so I'm not sure what to expect. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. We will probably do the insertion this Friday.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

A Dexcom sensor is FDA approved to last seven days and to be put on the abdomen, although many of us here wear them other places (and for longer periods of time). It seems to me the best success is with wearing them on arms, although some people like the butt or legs.

As for sensory issues- as a person with sensory issues- I recommend thinking about what parts of your son's body he least minds having things touch, and which parts are the worse. Me, I don't really like being touched anywhere- but my stomach is by far and away the place I'd least want touched.
    I'd also recommend a desensitization/trial run of just wearing, say, a band aid in whatever area you're hoping to place the sensor.
    The Dexcom sensor does hurt a little bit going in but it really doesn't hurt to keep wearing it- but depending on how sensitive he is, it might be something he keeps being aware of.
    The Dexcom company does not recommend putting bandaids over the actual sensor but in my experience it doesn't create problems so if having some cool decoration there would help him, I say go for it.

The adhesive is really pretty good and I can get away with scratching at it and it doesn't come off of me, but that may also have something to do with my skin, since it seems that others have a different experience about that.

3. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

Thanks so much for that reply. It helps to have someone with experience and especially with sensory issues. His main problem areas are really his face and hands, but I've never really tried anything on his abdomen or arm. When he was a baby and on the pump, we would insert it into his butt because that is the only place he had enough fat. I worry about using the butt though due to the potty training issue. Though he is mostly trained during the day, he still has accidents at night. I may try putting a bandaid on various places and see if he plays with it this week. Thanks for the idea.