- advertisement -

Dexcom sensor placement

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jillian06, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Jillian06

Jillian06 Approved members

We have been using Dexcom for few weeks, do any of you know of any resources where I can find a visual of where the sensors can be placed in a child?

My DD sleeps on her tummy and we are mostly out of range overnight. I want to find an alternative. I have been reading various posts that state that their children get better accuracy in the arm, but CDE is not willing to discuss stating it is not recommended.

I hope someone here can point me to some resources?

Thanks.

2. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

There are a number of videos on Youtube showing alternate insertions, even some on kids. Just search Dexcom.

We personally just tried our first non-tummy site. DD is currently wearing hers on a "love handle" with the transmitter pointing down toward her hip. She likes it and it seems to be working OK so far. We did it due to tummy fat going away as she gets older. Good luck!!

3. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

At CWD conferences, I've seen many children, some as young as two years old, wearing DexCom sensors in their arms.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Campbell often wears his on the back of his arm. He initially would only do it on his belly (he's a rule follower), but I finally convinced him to try his arm and now it's his preferred site.

5. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

Even Dexcom tech support suggested we might want to try the back of our dd's arm. The only reason it isn't approved for the arm, is all the tests used abdomen for placement, so since arms weren't tested, they couldn't be approved.

We have had excellent results w/the back of her arms and use those sites exclusively now. We tried love handles once, but it wasn't comfortable for her.

6. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

We have only had luck on the back of the arm on our daughter, she is too trim for anywhere else.

7. mocha

mocha Approved members

I've been using my legs, and just put one in my arm today. It's not "approved" there, since all the trials were with tummy sites, as others have pointed out. Just make sure that it's a fair distance from any pump sites!

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

My DS (4) has the Medtronic CGM and not the Dexcom, so I don't know if this applies, but he always wears his high up on his tush. As with the Dexcom, the Medtronic CGM is only approved for use on the tummy, but we were told that his rear end was the only place he had enough fat to make the CGM work.

Honestly, I don't get your CDE's reluctance. If alternative sites are not recommended, so what? It is not like a pump, where improper placement can lead to high BG and ketones. If you try it on the arm or tush and the CGM doesn't work, then you don't have to put it back there again! Perhaps he/she is concerned that you will take the Dexcom read-outs as gospel truth and not bother to do finger sticks?

I say, give it a try and see what works!

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

We did the arm forever and thought it was best. Then we decided to try the abdomen and, to be honest, it's 5 times better. I think the arms are too lean and the sensor hits muscle and that leads to variability IMO.

We place the receiver in a sandwich bag filled with sea shells which is taped with gaffers tape to the side of his bed and the range is really good. We also have a monitor to listen in. The shells make the vibrate sound louder.

10. Jillian06

Jillian06 Approved members

Are you using inner thighs? I am trying to visualize where to put the sensor in my DD legs.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I found a few youtube videos using the back of arms. We will definitely give it a try.

11. mocha

mocha Approved members

I use the outer thigh, same place I would do an injection or out a pump site. :)

12. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Any place you do a shot/pump site can be used for Dexcom. Arms are the best for us and only place we use. We actually use the backs, fronts and sides of the arms. I insert with the needle pointing up most times. I pinch up on the skin before inserting.

You can always try middle towards outer part of thigh....inner would hurt too much. Stomach and upper butt and hip area are also good sites.

13. natallia

natallia Approved members

my 18 months old wears his sensor on his upper arms and love handles. We love the arm sites, we get most accurate reading there....

14. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

We had an 18 month old CGM'er too, and a chubby one at that. :) All that baby fat made for relatively easy sensor insertion pretty much anywhere. DD is a lot thinner as a 5 year old. Love handle working right now, may try back of the arm next sensor.