- advertisement -

Dexcom sensor failures

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by iluvmhp, Jan 3, 2010.

?

In the last 4 months, we have had

1. Zero dexcom failed sensors

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. a few failed sensors (1 -4 )

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. too many failed sensors (5-8)

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. way too many failed sensors (thinking about sending it back) (9+)

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

In the last 4 months, how many failed sensors have you had occur?

I would like to get a handle on how widespread this sensor problem is. I keep second guessing that I am doing something wrong. I also read that others are experiencing problems. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

HA! Too many to count. Lets put it this way, I have stopped using the product.

3. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

We haven't stopped using it, and we aren't ready to send it back but it's been too many failures AND sensors that aren't accurate. We've taken a few breaks that I didn't think we would because of it. :rolleyes:

4. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

I'm probably going to jinx myself, but we've been using it since October and haven't had any failures yet. As well, we've had 3 sensors that we've been able to use for 2 weeks. I consider myself a satisfied customer so far.

5. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

We had 1 fail early.

6. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

We have had tons! Every one that comes out of the 3 month supply fails or falls off by day 5. Ive had 4 replaced so far and have 3 more that I will be calling in tomorrow. Ive used 1 of the 4 that were replaced and it lasted the full 7 days. The last one failed with no warning at all, it was working fine and accurate, and then beeped and said it failed. The others have all been inaccurate or ??? before failing. Because of all the problems, we havent been using it 24/7 like we were before the problems and my husband is ready to be done with the whole thing and Kylee is tired of having to be poked more often than she really should. Part of the reason we went with the Dexcom was the longer sensor life, and at this point that is pretty much out the window. I plan on telling them all this tomorrow when I call too.

7. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We have been using the Dex since May. I don't think any have failed early, and most have been restarted beyond 7 days.

Chuck

8. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

We went for a very several months with no failed sensors and then had several this summer. It got better, but never went away..now it is horrible again. I just dont understand how some can have no failures and others have nothing but failures....are they coming from the same place??

9. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Susan,
    I am sorry that you are still dealing with this!!! We have been one of the lucky ones I guess. I feel so bad for Hannah!!! Hugs to you both!!!

10. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

We went without the Dex for about two months after the receiver got wet. Now we're back, but using sensors from 1/2010. They've been sitting around for awhile and the last two failed in 3 days and 1 day. Prior to that I think we had one that failed on day 3 and another that failed on day 6 (I didn't ask for replacement for that one). We got two weeks out of a couple and 9 days out of several.

I'm trying a restart on the last failed sensor right now, but I think I'm dreaming. It was wacky for most of the one day it lasted.

I'm still more disappointed with the COMPLETE lack of water resistance of the receiver than I am with the failed sensors.

11. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Just 1. I have found that sensor placement is crucial for us in terms of a failure or not. Arms have NEVER failed. Stomach ALWAYS fails.

12. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We have had maybe 2 failures in the past 2 months, but in the summer when we started we had about 8 in 6 weeks, so I get your frustration. And, we are not doing anything differently now, so I know it wasn't our doing:) The only thing you can really do wrong is to mess up the wire (eg. touch it, put skin tac on the area where the wire will go, etc.) in my understanding. They also don't recommend putting it in in the evening because there are more failures in the evening . . .That being said, now that it's working well for us we wouldn't give it up.

13. Toni

Toni Banned

We are still on that Dexcom break, been about a month now. So we were not using the most recent Dexcom product. We do not have more than 70 percent accuracy (I am counting all the time spent in ??? overnight as an inaccuracy; perhaps that is incorrect). I really need Dex the most between the hours of 6pm to 2am. So comfortable to wear so have not given up on the product but if I kept getting FAILED SENSOR error, I would be pissed. To date, one or two FAILED SENSORS max. Of course SENSOR ERRORS 1 and 2 I can restart, usually with no problem.

14. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

All of our failures have been arms. They are definitely more accurate than tummies.

The ones that failed were working great and then came up with ??? and then failed or just failed without ???.

My dd asked to put one more in last night. UGH, fingers crossed this one works. It had ??? last night so I stopped the sensor before it could fail. Waited until morning to restart. Will see how the day goes.

So, based on this very scientific poll, I guess our failure rate is higher than most.

15. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Count us for another "Sensor Failed". During the night. Put it in Sat. around noon.
    Seems if I get a sensor that is accurate, it fails in 3 days or less, if I get an inaccurate sensor it will last 6-9 days. Getting very tired of this and Sean is ready to throw it away, never to be seen again. :mad: :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  16. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

We have had at least 9 failures in the past few months. We moved the sensor location to the love handle area from the arms thinking that was the problem. Then moved back to the arms and had either failure or major bleeding. We have had one last longer than the 7 days. 3 days is about max these days. The sensor he is currently wearing was inserted 12/31 am and is on it's way out. Had him at 389 this moring and he was 64. We are ready for a break. I have 5 new sensors from replacements and 2 waiting to be replaced. Very frustrating for me and my 10 year old.

??? or sensor errors are not our problem, just plain sensor failure. Restarts do not work.

"Seems if I get a sensor that is accurate, it fails in 3 days or less" this is what we have found also.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  17. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Thank you for your posts. I hate to hear of others having the same issues, but it at least helps confirm that I am not alone.

We haven't had sensor errors, just sensor failed. failed, failed and failed. Restarts will not work.

Thank you again for your posts.

18. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

It looks like the failure rate has to be pushing 20% doesn't it?

19. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I had to say zero have failed on us, and most have lasted at east 9 days. We do use Skin-tac to help them stick. We've had a couple that were not very accurate and wouldn't correct, but no failures...so far.