- advertisement -

Dexcom sensor expiration date ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dpr, May 21, 2016.

1. dpr

dpr Approved members

Like most everyone we milk our sensors on restarts until they go bad. Now I've got so many sensors that I've got a whole box that expires the middle of next month. Does anyone know if they actually start to degrade or if it's just there for sterility?

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I am using a sensor right now that expired 3.3.2016 and it is working perfectly. Also, I have noticed the sensors I have gotten recently have had a much longer time before expiration so I am not sure if they changed them recently. I think technically they degrade but I wouldn't hesitate to use them personally. I used a sensor in February that had expired in October (found it in a closet) and it was fine.

3. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

I'm speculating that a minor issue may be that if an expired sensor fails before 7 days, and you call Dexcom for a replacement, they may not replace it. Every time I've called in a failed sensor, they ask for the lot number, which tells them the expiry date.

But again, I'm just speculating.

4. dpr

dpr Approved members

I'm not too worried about that. I can warranty our own sensors, I've got over 2 years of sensors on hand, I just don't want them to waste away.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I'm glad I'm not the only one who stockpiles. ;). Last fall it came back to bite me a little bit (long story), so I'm resisting the urge now. We ordered a 3 month supply of sensors in December, and since we often get 3-4 weeks out of them, it will last a long time. I keep getting calls for pump and cgm supply reorders...It's a balance between maximizing costs and making sure we can use it before expiration. Not to mention all the what-ifs that run through my mind. :)

As long as it being out of warranty isn't a big deal, I'd still use them. I don't see why they wouldn't work just fine. Maybe he adhesive would eventually get old, but even so, there's tape for that. :)