- advertisement -

Dexcom Receiver went for a swim

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CamsMom, Aug 4, 2011.

1. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

Oh no! My husband took the boys to the pool this afternoon and he forgot to retrieve the receiver from Cams pocket before he jumped in. Dead Dexcom receiver is now resting in a bed of dry rice in a ziploc bag.

Someone give me some hope. Have you ever had a Dexcom receiver come back to life?

I am so sad and REALLY trying hard not to be mad. I guess it could have happened to me.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Did you search the forums? I think there's an exact same thread with a ton of suggestions here.

3. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

Yep I searched. Found a few. Guess I just want some hope.

4. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

so sorry to hear that.. I would have a hard time not being alittle mad myself.. I hope it comes back to life for you guys..:cwds:

5. emilyblake

emilyblake Approved members

Our daughter took a shower with hers on once - but it was in a spibelt. it was deifnitely wet and we used rice to help soak up the moisture.

we were able to use it without issues after that happened.

Was your son swimming with it for a long time?

good luck to you!!!

6. swellman

There's hope but I wouldn't use the rice - it's a really poor desiccant. I would get one of the dehumidifier packets at the grocery store.

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I just got an e-mail from a friend whose Dex took a swim during a kayak ride, he put it in a sock and in rice for 3 days, also out in sun. It worked fine after that! Here's her e-mail!

Make sure you tether your CGM to you somehow--I nearly lost mine while kayaking but was able to find it in my double plastic bag along the shore. Whew! Also, my CGM went for a 1/2 second swim and water immediately flooded in where the charger plugs in. It took 3 days of keeping it in rice in the sun before it came back to life but eventually it did...until I was sparring and it took a hard hit to the tile floor and gave up completely. Not sure if the two are related, but take extra special care in waterproofing and make sure to have a life line to it <no pun intended>. :)

8. CheriMomTo8

CheriMomTo8 Approved members

Ours went in the creek. After 24 hrs in absorbant, it came back to life and no problems. Let us know what happens.

9. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

Okay, so I found some at the hardware store. It is the granules, though. Should I make a packet of my own using a paper towel and then put it in a ziploc bag with the receiver?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it comes back to life over the weekend.

10. swellman

Yes, just separate the granules from the receiver by either a washcloth or paper towels and zip it up and force all the air out.

11. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

It's back up and running! I am amazed. Thanks for all the great advice. The granules did the trick.:D