- advertisement -

Dexcom Receiver DEAD #*@$ Hate Dexcom

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by e23nk, May 1, 2012.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Not with us. We had to buy a new system. Was this as they were going out of the market? Any company would not normally do that. I know toward the end they did not have even replacements being they were taking it off the market. I don't think the mess as Abbott can be compared with a company with a working product.

2. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

the same thing happened to Jesse last year... about 10 days past warranty, his transmitter sdtarted getting wonky numbers.... we also had to order a whole new system... Thankfully his insurance paid for it...
    He just got a third one... Warranty is up, so I figured get the new one before the 2nd one dies...
    Although he said he wants to go back to his navigator.... someone sent me a bunch of Nav sensors... and he still has a working Nav...

Abbottt warrantied his first Unit for almost a year after the warranty expired...
    They were a pleasure to deal with....
    It ws like a forever warranty- til they took it off the market

3. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I have to say this. I am sorry it is not Dexcom's responsibility to replace it. I am using a way out of warranty reciever. I had two die within weeks of each other. I need to think about actually paying for and replacing the current one but am too cheap to do that.
    Wendy

4. Diana

Diana Approved members

No. It was before they were going out of market. I thought it was amazing and crazy that they would do it. And I know they also did buy-backs for people with out of warranty Navs and also expired sensors. It was awesome for the customer but doesn't seem like such a great business model.

I agree that you cannot compare Abbott to a normal company though ;)

5. Diana

Diana Approved members

Yes. And actually, we had 3 or 4 receivers and 2 or 3 transmitters replaced by Dexcom in warranty with no problem, so my personal experience with them was generally quite good.

But since then, I have heard several stories of people having to pay for replacement transmitters that were still under warranty, and given our history with the reliability of the Dex (many broken parts over the course of a year) the stories make me nervous about switching back to Dexcom. I know there have been several threads here on CWD about it. I do recognize that they could be isolated cases, but it still makes me nervous!

6. BrendaMc

BrendaMc Approved members

We've purchased 2 (one swimming- one lost) I think we paid $199 for the first one and $299 for the second one.

We ended up find the "lost" one so we actually have 2 back up receivers.

7. karri

karri Approved members

I do wonder why dexcom receiver only lasts for 1-2 years. Battery rans out?

8. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

We are still using our first receiver that we started using on Sept. 9, 2009, almost 3 yrs. ago. It's still going strong along with the replacement we received when the warranty was up in Oct. 2010. Both are out of warranty and working just fine. I know we've been lucky but we probably aren't the only ones.
    Just throwing it in here as most of the time posts are about problems not satisfaction. I almost feel I shouldn't post this since it's not a problem and feels like a brag instead, but I thought it might help to know that not all users of Dexcom have problems with receivers dying right after the warranty expires. :cwds: