- advertisement -

Dexcom Receiver DEAD #*@$ Hate Dexcom

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by e23nk, May 1, 2012.

1. e23nk

e23nk Approved members

So today, 2 weeks past our warranty our Dexcom receiver died...got consecutive Dexcom initializing screens, then system recovery check complete screen then BAM...the Error Code 16ROF2D93C.
    Called Dexcom for support...which turned out to be a lack of support.
    I am extremely disappointed that they would not replace the receiver and stand behind their product?but instead choose to charge me to purchase a new one. While I do have insurance I still have a VERY high co-pay. I did ask to speak to several people at Dexcom but they all took the company line. I honestly think that is very poor customer service. It?s not like I am 6 months out of warranty.
    Way to be Dexcom....or is it $Dexcom$

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Personally, I would never expect to have something replaced out of warranty. They have to draw the line somewhere, and where they draw the line is the warranty period. If they replaced receivers 2 months 'out of warranty' then somebody would say "but mine is only 2.5 months out of warranty - there's very little difference there" and it would go on for ever.

They are a company, not a charity. They can't afford to replace broken equipment forever. Just my two cents. :cwds:

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

^^^^ This

Sorry for your bad luck though.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yes, I agree with all Emma wrote. It is frustrating, maddening, and a downright shame that it happened when it did and not 3 weeks earlier, but I don't blame the company for needing to draw a line somewhere.

I'm sorry for your bad luck, but I'd blame it on bad luck, not a bad company.

5. e23nk

e23nk Approved members

like I said..I am less than 2 weeks out of warrenty...NOT 2 MONTHS....I think it is very poor customer service to NOT back a product. If your car, you DVD play, IPod, IPad...take your pick had something fail that soon after warrenty you know it would be replaced..I know because I have been there...anything LESS is UNACCEPTABLE...but I appreciate your 2 cents.
    I really wish we didnt need this sensor...unfortunately my son is not able to feel his lows and as you all know it is not a good situation.
    I will not recomment any company that does not stand by their product...bad luck or not...its more like sh*tty support.

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'm sorry for your expenses, we also took a big hit when replacing the system, but the cost is very worth it for a great device.

Here's what maybe you might not have understood, the Dexcom really is only supposed to work for about a year. That's kind of its life expectancy. So I understand the warranty is one year, right? So they are essentially saying they stand behind their device for its expected life, but they don't "stand behind" their device after the expected life is over, make sense? That's why insurance will cover a replacement, because it's "time" for it to be replaced. I didn't understand this when we hit a year, over a year actually, because I was thinking the Dex would have the same "life" as a pump -- I was thinking four years!

I've heard the other CGM systems are good, though, so if you're unhappy you might look into those before buying a new receiver, since if you replace the receiver and the transmitter goes out (which it probably will before too much longer) you'll be stuck buying the Dex transmitter, too. :(

Good luck with your decisions.
    :)

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If you buy a minimed, the transmitter is warrantied for only six months, and they won't replace that at six months and a day.

My Dexcom receiver died twice during the first year and I got it replaced twice; the third monitor died thirteen and a half months after I got the first one, and so I bought a new system.
    Dexcom will replace a receiver after one year from purchase of the system only if it had just replaced a receiver when you year was up; you get one year from initial purchase or one month from when you got the current receiver, whichever is later.

I figured into my cost analysis when choosing and buying the CGMs that things would die soon after the warranty period was up.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

um ..... nope. I am absolutely certain they would NOT be replaced.

The warranty IS the company backing the product.

I would also be upset but not at the company. Sorry.

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Anyone know the replacement cost of the individual pieces (receiver and transmitter) for the Dex? Just curious what the savings is to buy the set rather than a piece if it dies sometime in our 2nd year. Our insurance only buys one every 2 years (last I checked).

I'm sure ours will die on day 366.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

If you are out of warranty no company(at least in the diabetes world) will replace parts.

11. selketine

So you can't just buy a receiver totally OOP after the year is up?

12. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

If you are out of Warranty, no company will usually honor it, even by 1 day, and even if they knew it was going to happen(happened with our truck(ours was over by 2 KM and they said no)

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  13. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

you hate dexcom because they won't replace your out of warranty receiver for free?

:eek:

IMO whether it is one hour or 1 year out of warranty, I don't feel entitled to free replacements and for companies to bend the rules for me.
    If insurance will cover ANY of the replacement receiver , BE GRATEFUL. Insurance covered NOTHING for the last receiver we had to pay for 2 months ago.
    Money doesn't grow on trees, and no one likes having to buy new ones but hating dexcom because they don't replace your out of warranty supplies at no cost to you is wild!

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I understand why you're frustrated, but Dexcom isn't to blame. You really can't expect them to replace parts forever, and they have to cut it off somewhere.

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I guess you could . Our insurance buys new CGMs once a year

16. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Yes you can, with both Dexcom and minimed. I asked how much the receiver and transmitter would be if I replaced them separately from each company and wrote down the answers at the time- can't find where I wrote it. The Dexcom system is more expensive that way, the minimed system is the same cost.

17. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I agree, Dexcom didn't do anything wrong by standing by their policies and it's definitely not their fault that you have a high insurance deductible either. I have one and I know what a pain it is, but there is absolutely no reason to be mad at a company for not giving you something for free when your product is out of warranty just because you can't afford to buy another. Welcome to the real world.. it sucks, and D sucks even more on top of that, but to bash a company just because you think you're entitled to something for free is WRONG!

18. selketine

Good to know. I'm just going to plan on having to buy a replacement on our "off" years. It definitely would be very frustrating though to have it break days outside the warranty period.

I wonder if there is any program that would give you an extended warranty - some credit card companies double the warranty on purchases. Not sure if it would extend to medical devices.

19. Diana

Diana Approved members

Well, Abbott would (and did) with the Navigator :)

Our Dexcom pretty much bit the dust right around day 366. I was frustrated, but didn't really care too much since we had already decided to switch to MM. I obviously would really appreciate a company granting a little bit of a grace period, but I wouldn't expect it.

In our experience, Dexcom was pretty reasonable and good to work with. But I have heard enough wacky warranty stories in the last year or two to make me nervous about their warranty policy --- basically charging for in warranty parts that need replacing. To me, that is a much bigger deal than not honoring the warranty a few days after it has expired.

20. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Our in warranty Dexcom sensor was fully replaced when broken, no hassle, no problem.