- advertisement -

Dexcom Range

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by msschiel, May 2, 2016.

1. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

What does everyone have their kid's range set at? Ours is 80-230 (I think). However, nights when he is running high (like last night), it seems to keep alarming, even though I have corrected him. He doesn't wake up to his alarms. I just happened to wake up last night and checked my phone. He wasn't quite 230 yet, but when I finger sticked him it was 200. I corrected and set a temp basal i hopes to keep him from hitting that 230 mark. Not much later it alarmed. I also have a baby monitor next to his receiver because sometimes our wifi quits working in the middle of the night, so it is easier than running downstairs to check if we do lose connection. So, I still had to get back up and shut the alarm off.

Just wondering what everyone else does. I like seeing what his numbers are doing, but some times the dex really annoys me!

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I totally get what you're saying. It's irritating to have to get up for extraneous alarms (aka already corrected highs).

One thing I do that helps is set it to alarm again in a longer time--mine is set at 2 hours. I can't remember what options the actual receiver has, but the share app lets you choose how long between repeat alarms. (it may not necessarily help if you are using a baby monitor to hear the receiver.)

Is his room close enough to reach via Bluetooth? If it is, you can still see his numbers if wifi goes out, although you won't get alarms from the follow app. Theoretically, You can still see his numbers, and may be able to go without having the baby monitor keep you up.

Also, I have my share app range set differently than the receiver. The hope is that Ds will wake and correct before I have the chance to get an alarm. ( I can dream, right?)

Basically, set it at whatever level you absolutely would correct for. Personally, I wouldn't get out of bed for a 180, but I would for a 250 or 300. So you have to decide what is right for your situation.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Low: 65
    High: 170 (Sleep is grossly overrated. Drink more caffeine. You can sleep when you're dead.)

4. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Low at 80 day and night - if he gets much below 60 then we get wicked rebound highs so I try to treat early
    High at 300 day just so it doesn't alarm at school - I'm always watching and correct much sooner of course
    High at 180 at night

5. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

Yeah, sleep is definitely overrated, especially with a diabetic child! Unfortunately, caffeine doesn't effect me. Good thing I am good at going on little sleep.

I will have to check his receiver settings, maybe I can set the timing for longer. Thanks for posting your settings.

6. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I'm following this since we just started with the dexcom. Right now we have it set at 80 and 300, which is what was recommended so it wasn't constantly going off at school. I guess I didn't realize that you could have different limits at different times of day- or do you guys just change the limits before bed? Last night it alarmed a bunch of times to tell me it was out of range which was driving me cuckoo until I realized the best spot for it was the most convenient- right on my nightstand.

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Once my daughter finishes "pubertizing" and her anterior pituitary ceases spitting out enough growth hormone to break the world's record for tallest teen, or once I die (whichever comes first), I will back off on that 170. The puberty rollercoaster has laughed in my frustrated and sleep-deprived face once too often which has resulted in my adopting a "Bring it, you MF!" attitude, which I believe has led to our current 170 high end of the range. It's anyone's guess how long I can keep this up...

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh's is set at 75-200. Ashleigh doesn't wake to alarms either. Last night her CGM alarmed LOW but when i checked her meter it was 95. I calibrated, but it only calibrated to 64. Which of course meant another alarm, in which i had to get up and shut off. According to her meter she never did drop low (so i think they were compression lows).

9. andiej

andiej Approved members

I've gradually decreased our range. Uk range is 4 - 8 which I think is 72 - 144. During the day it can be annoying as it will go off after eating, at night the 8 is good as I like to keep in range over night and would hate for it not to alarm and him to sit higher all night long.

10. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Hers is set at 80-200, mine is set at 80-160. She doesn't want it alarming at school as much, I like to head things off earlier overnight. It works for us.