- advertisement -

Dexcom Questions

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by funnygrl, Jun 10, 2014.

1. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I've been using Medtronic CGMS on and off since 2007. Now I'm making the jump to Dexcom tomorrow hoping for a larger range and improved accuracy. I have two questions.

1. Does the Dexcom let you set different ranges for day and night? Or different time periods? I like knowing if I'm going about 170 during the day, but don't like being woken up until 250 at night.

2. Can you silence alerts for a set time period? Sometimes I get a bunch of false low alarms and this is the only way to stop me from throwing it out the window.

2. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Good luck with your Dex!

1. No
    2. You can set the alerts to stun (it just shakes). You can set a snooze of up to 300 minutes for both high alert and low alert. I think though if it thinks you are 55 or below it will not quit and be loud. The only time we have problems with false lows is when DS sleeps on the sensor. I jostle him around a little, get a fingerstick, calibrate, and it gets back on track within 20 minutes.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

1. No. And as a former MM CGM user, I really miss that feature.

2. No. There is no equivalent to the alert silence feature that MM has. I miss that too.

You'll love the Dex, though. So much less fussy.

4. funnygrl

Thanks for the answers! I just watched the training videos and have another question. How far apart should the initial two calibrations to start the session be? Can you do them just like 10 minutes apart to get the show on the road?

5. funnygrl

That's what everyone says, even the CDE at my endo's office!

6. sszyszkiewicz

After sensor startup (it takes 2 hours). You do 2 fingersticks and enter both numbers right then.

The first 12 hours it is a little wonky, but if you calibrate when its really off it gets the hint soon enough. Once it gets going you only have to calibrate twice per day, but we calibrate more often simply because we are doing the fingerstick anyway around meals.

7. funnygrl

Ok, so two back to back finger sticks?

The video tutorial makes no mention of only calibrating while BG is steady. Is this less of an issue with the Dexcom than the Medtronic?

8. sszyszkiewicz

Yes Back to back otherwise it will not tell you what it thinks you are.

Yes when steady. I have no experience with Medtronic so I do not know how to answer the second part of your question about steadyness.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I do not believe that Dexcom requires a steady arrow for calibration, I think that it is what most try to do, but rather gleams of knowledge from CWD.

Dexcom simply requires a calibration every 12hours, after the initial 2 hour warmup and back to back calibrations at startup. And I personally believe that you should calibrate at both in both high and low range to get the best accuracy. This is also gleams of knowledge from CWD.

I could be wrong about only calibrating when steady, it's been over 4years since I read any Dexcom manual.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We've made it part of our routine to change the alarm range morning and night, but I, too, miss that feature of the Medtronic.

I don't have to be as careful with calibrations as with Medtronic to get about the same accuracy (ie. I can calibrate with arrows and still have it be within 15 points usually), but if I follow the careful method we used with Metronic, the accuracy is within 5 most of the time.