- advertisement -

Dexcom out of range

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cappiella, Oct 26, 2013.

1. cappiella

cappiella Approved members

Hi everyone. We just got the dexcom and have been using it for a, couple of weeks. So far it seems great but we find that it is often out of range, even when the receiver is just a few feet away from our daughter. I thought I'd seen folks on this site saying the range on the G4 was so good they could put the receiver on the kitchen counter and it would pick up the signal no matter where the kid was in the house. But maybe I'm remembering posts about some other CGM. Tonight she was wearing it in a, spibelt around her waist while running a lot and when I went to check it, it had been out of range for 30+ minutes. Is, this normal? Do I need to make sure the reciever is positioned just so in relation to where the sensor is on her body? What gives?

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Call dexcom. The number is on the back of the receiver. That isn't normal at all. I get 20-50+ feet from it, including inside. Their helpline is 24/7 so you can call now.

3. Dan

Dan Approved members

I can get reception when Joshua is batting and I am behind second base. That is a good 70-90 feet. I would call Dexcom. They may ask you to upload the data from your receiver so they can look at your data. If there is an issue they will send you a new system.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

I'm finding lately with us that we have it go out of range more depending on what site we are using (this is when the receiver is always in close proximity to his body)

If we use his arms I rarely if never have that problem. I've been using his bum lately to give his arms a rest and I think at least 1 time a day it goes out of range for about 25 minutes - usually when he is carrying it on him so distance from the sensor is not a factor.

I think it also depends what your child is doing. If they are sleeping and they are laying on the sensor sometimes that can cause it to go out of range, or if they are wrapped up in a lot of blankets. I've read some people say that sometimes they go move their child so they are not in the same sleeping position so they can get sensor to come back into range.

If it is happening all the time you might want to call Dexcom about it, for us it just seems to be every once in a while. It is annoying, but I take it with a grain of salt knowing I would much rather have that problem than not have a CGM at all.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Not normal at all, in our experience. I would call Dexcom.

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

We had this happen, they replaced the transmitter. We now rarely see them, however I have noticed that if he is wearing his polyester footy jammies he gets the out of range when in bed, seems quite possibly to be a static issue. I had a friend recommend using dryer sheets as she uses them on her son's dexcom when it says "out of range" and obviously isn't.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

Not normal at all. Ours picks up across a football field.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yours is a dog?

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Mine just alerted on your kid in Massachusetts. From Illinois. Before he was actually low.

10. cappiella

cappiella Approved members

Ok, sounds like i need to call them. A couple times I got the out of range alarm or the??? when she was in the tub or sleeping (laying on the sensor) , so those don't surprise me too much but the rest of the times were when she's been wearing it or just in another room of the house.

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

Unless your home is built with concrete walls, you shouldn't have trouble.

:)

12. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We are starting on week 4 with Dexcom and we don't have too much of a problem. Now, we don't get 70 or 80 feet. At night we do put it about 20 feet away behind a closed door and it will sometimes stay in range for hours and then lose the signal for 30 minutes or so. I guess that could be the way she is lying in the bed.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We find that if our daughter is wearing it on the side she sleeps on it will sometimes go out of range. I think it might have something to do with the amount of pressure her body is putting on it.

14. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

When we first received the system in August the range was incredible....she could walk anywhere in the house and it would keep the signal from the kitchen counter. The past month has been a different issue. The range has not been as good and it sometimes loses the signal while she wears the monitor around her waist in a spibelt. Twice we had to press the reset button to get it back in range quicker when it was out of range for over 20 minutes. The rep we spoke to told us this trick. Most of the time it goes back in range on its own.

I did call and bring this up to the CS rep and also downloaded the info and sent it to a supervisor. I was told that it was in range over 90% of the time and this was acceptable. She was adamant and stood her ground when I asked why was the range not as good as it used to be and said "it's not meant to read through walls"....well maybe it's not meant to but it did for the first 2 months of use and not so much now. Also the accuracy is not as good as it used to be...I figure in 3 months I will just get a new one regardless so I won't argue with them anymore.

My point is that don't expect dexcom to jump at replacing the transmitter...I do believe that some transmitters just work better than others but Dex won't replace your transmitter if it's working okay but not as good as you have heard it should.

I have been using her bum since day 1 and in a few weeks when the weather gets colder I think I will switch to the arm to see if it works better.

Good luck...just wanted to share my experience.