- advertisement -

Dexcom news question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by katerinas, Mar 29, 2016.

1. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

Hi! I have been reading the news that Dexcom will launch a new receiver and inserter within 2016. I remember that they had said that with the new inserter a smaller by 50% transmitter would also come to market. However they haven't mentioned this in their last update. Does anybody know what is going on?

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I heard there would be a new sensor (with integrated 1-button insertion) for the G5 platform as well as a new slimmer transmitter.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We were asked to participate in the study for all this and we had to pass on it. Boohoo boohoo! We were really curious to see the whole shebang.

4. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

There's nothing new to update. During the last earnings call in mid-February (which was for full year 2015), Dexcom clearly said they plan to have the new receiver, transmitter and inserter released by year's end. That is the last investor update to date; the next one is at end of April.

5. andiej

andiej Approved members

I'm keeping my eye out on this one, we are pretty new to Dexcom but seriously hate the inserter, it looks like a torture device, before Dexcom we had the libre which was so simple and painless in comparison. Pretty sure it's just bad design and no need to be as complicated, fiddly as it is. I had heard 2016 for the new inserter but hadn't heard about the slimmer transmitter, that will be a bonus.

6. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

I agree, it does look like a torture device. When we first started on dex, we put it on his stomach and he jumped away when I first started to insert it. We are used to Animas insets and they pop in instead of slowly going it. I put an inset on when he first started the pump, but really can't try the dex to see what it feels like. The most problem we had with dex seems to be the adhesive, it was getting itchy before our week was even up. I think we got 8 days out of our last sensor before it got too itchy. This time I put some flonase underneath and tomorrow will be our 7th day with it, hoping to get at least another week with it.

Anyways, hoping they make it less intimidating!

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I've had a hard time with some Dexcom insertions when I go slowly and you can feel the needle. It stinks, because once the adhesive is stuck, you're committed to that spot. I've found if you just take a deep breath and keep going steady though, it's over very quickly. It's like, once you feel the pain, it's pretty much already in, you just need to lock it in and get the cuff raised. Smooth continuous motion without too much thought seems to be key. I've always kind of been leery of the "flingy" insertion devices. You never know what you're going to get. For me, with something like Medtronic's CGM inserter, or Insets, or anything one button and in, it's either no pain, or intense burning.