- advertisement -

Dexcom lower profile transmitter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just wondering if anyone is using their new, lower profile transmitter and if they find it to be a noticeable difference.

I'm so tempted to let DD try it, though I know I should wait till the current one begins to die.

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We're using it. She wanted to and so I let her. No, I don't notice a big difference. I mean, of course the difference is there, but she wears it on her upper arm and so if she's wearing short sleeves, you can still see it and if she is wearing a sweater or hoodie, you couldn't really see it before and you can't see it now.

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My son is wearing it and loves it. My daughter's came in but she doesn't really care so we're waiting for her current one to die.

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We're not waiting. I'm letting her have it when it arrives. The old systems had the slimmer profile and there was a huge difference coming from the slim one and then using the other. The big one catches on things, where mostly clothes slid over the old one (especially bra straps). And she hits the bigger one on things and people more than she used to. I'm not 100% sure they've gone back to the old shape though.

I've worn both for short periods of time and I think the bigger one feels like its pulling on the sensor and is heavier. Anecdotally, people seem to have more problems keeping the G4 sensors on than older systems. I'd blame that on the bigger, bulkier transmitter.

5. Jordansmom

The Seven Plus and the slimmer G4 are not exactly the same, but much closer to the same profile. If you look at photos you can see why the bulkier one is so much worse at catching on things. It also shows through her clothes a lot more (not that she has cared).

dexcomtransmitter2.gif

Seven Plus and G4 Transmitter

seven-plus-transmitter.jpg

Seven Plus transmitter

newdexcomtransmitterpng.png

Old G4 Transmitter and New slimmer G4 transmitter

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Thanks, Tina! In the box you can tell that it's flatter, but your comparison shots make me want to unpack it NOW! :tongue:

7. Jordansmom

That's exactly how I felt when I heard the news. My DD was so excited when I told her it was smaller. She wore the smaller one for about 4 years. The big one has been really frustrating for her. If that's all you know I'm sure you're just thrilled to have a dexcom. For my DD it felt like a big step backwards in terms of comfort.

When we get a new slim transmitter I'll take a photo of all three side by side.

8. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I waited until her old one really went down hill to pull it out and I'm glad I did. Beyond me saying "look it doesn't stick out as much!" And her saying "yeah..." It really hasn't changed much in her life. I'm glad I let our old one live out its usefulness.

9. SallyS

SallyS Approved members

My son wears the Dexcom sensor on his upper arm, and we recently switched to the low profile transmitter. We are finding it more difficult to snap the transmitter in the sensor pod using the latch. Anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks, Sally