- advertisement -

Dexcom keeps getting caught on pool lap lane

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrendaK, Oct 2, 2013.

1. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Need some tips on how to keep a Dexcom on during swim practice. Carson joined a swim team this fall and is swimming a lot of backstroke. Both Monday night and tonight the Dexcom that he wears on the back of his arm got caught on the lap lane and ripped off. I can see how easily it happens with backstroke.

Does anyone have any tips on something he can wrap around it to keep it from getting caught? He wore a compression arm sleeve over it a few years ago for football, but it's too long for swimming. Would athletic tape stick?

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

3. BrendaK

Ha, I didn't even think of that and Carson and I are both runners!! Although I've never ever used the tape and I really don't get quite what it's for -- except my cousin told me it kept her knee caps in place when she ran. (And I'm thinking I wouldn't be running if my kneecaps jiggled....but that's another topic). I'm going to go to Sports Authority tomorrow and see what they have. He has practice again tomorrow night and I really don't want to go through 3 sensors in 1 week!

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

What about just some coban type wrap, the kinesio tape will get expensive. I actually buy vet wrap, from a vet supply store, it's basically coban but cheaper!
    http://www.amazon.com/COBAN-ELASTIC...?ie=UTF8&qid=1380768571&sr=8-6&keywords=coban
    http://www.amazon.com/Gifted-Horse-Vet-Wrap-Black/dp/B0000B3BV4

No need for it here so can't give it a personal review, but I always thought this product looked nifty:
    http://www.bands4life.net/

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We use vet wrap to keep the Dex on during swimming and it works well. Just wrap around the arm and tuck the end under the wrapped part. Bonus is that it's cheap! :)

7. BrendaK

Where can I go buy vet wrap? Or do I have to order online?

8. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

I've seen vet wrap at Target. Also, Petco.

9. BrendaK

Thanks! Can you tell we don't have any pets?!?! :rolleyes:

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We get our vet wrap at Farm and Fleet.

11. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

TSC,Big R or any farm or tack shop will will it with the horse grooming supplies

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

$2 per roll, lots of color choices.

We use the lower back for the sensors. Would changing site location help?

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we get our colored vet wrap at Petsmart for much cheaper that Walmart.

14. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter uses something like this tubular bandage. She likes it because it breathes. It fits pretty snugly on her arm and you can reuse them. We just cut to fit over her pods.

15. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Just a word of caution about the vet wrap, unlike coban and most similar products sold for first aid, it is NOT latex free and the packaging isn't always as obvious to that fact as it should be.

16. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

ok, this may sound weird, but Isaac actually prefers it to the wrap...we cut off the top portion of an old small shorter sock (so about 2 inches of ribbing) and he wears that over his dexcom on his arm when swimming. It is cotton, so we can rewash them, it's breathable, and he can take it off without it leaving any sticky (itchy to him) residue. So, for us it's no cost - just an old sock or two...and if we loose them no biggie, just snip another one. He has also used a wrist sweat band over them, but those don't stay as well and aren't as wide.

17. BrendaK

The vet tape was perfect! Thank for all of the suggestions. Will probably try out a few more of them if he keeps up the swim team.

18. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

My oldest daughter does competitive swimming. She had to tape her arm because of shoulder pain. Her coaches recommended KT tape. However, I'm not sure how it would work around the arm. I'd try the vet tape, or hypafix, or maybe just a tube sock with the ends cut off so its just the stretchy part.