- advertisement -

Dexcom gen4 question

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by katerinas, Jun 22, 2011.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Right. I think Insulet was very close to submitting to the FDA with the 3rd generation, but since Animas is integrating with the 4th generation, they figured that they pretty much had to do so as well.

I keep waiting for J&J to buy both Omnipod and Dexcom. It's obvious that coordinating CGM and pumps between different companies is much more difficult that was anticipated.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

OMG ... shut your mouth.

3. hawkeyegirl

I know, I know. But I do think someone will purchase both of them, and J&J is always rumored to be the frontrunner.

It could be worse. *cough* Abbott *cough*

4. zatff

zatff Approved members

If they are making them now in China I can see why they drop the warranty period. I would think that will really hurt sales and appeal of new product.

5. swellman

This gross generalization is full of fail.

6. hawkeyegirl

Omnipod moved their production to China, I believe, and it didn't appear to hurt their sales a bit.

7. swellman

Now you went and done did it. :(

8. hawkeyegirl

Maybe J&J will move production back to the states! :p

9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

At this point he is not a fan at all. Accuracy does not compare and he is becoming disconnected several times per hour and it is getting worse every day. Some of his hours have only 6 readings instead of 12. At first they told him it was normal, but to send them the data. The next person he talked to said that it didn't sound right and then the person he talked to put him on hold 4 times discussing it with others. It was 5pm, so nothing got solved yesterday, but looks like he will get something replaced today. He is not at all happy that the 24/7 tech support isn't really that at all, like it was with Abbott. After hours all they can do is hold your hand. Hopefully they will get this fixed for him. No one would have this system if what he is seeing is normal! When the Dex is off by 30 points, the Navigator is correct. He has had some false lows. Not sure what they will replace yet.

10. Don

Don Approved members

I think the G4 is the first version that can be mass-produced (vs by hand like the Nav) and this lower cost to produce could make it attractive to J&J. Otoh, if I were J&J, I'd be pretty mixed on whether to buy Insulet because of the fail rate...?

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

but I think that J&J having all 4 would make them a powerhouse:
    * Traditional Pump
    * tubeless pump
    * CGM
    * Integrated CGM

Then if their CGM integrated with both their traditional and their patch AND still also had a stand alone monitor they basically would be "the" go to diabetes product company especially when you add in all the other diabetes products they already own.

12. hawkeyegirl

Absolutely. It sucks to see the number of players in the market decrease (like the Navigator officially biting the dust today), but that's the way this is heading.

13. karri

karri Approved members

Heres an product idea for animas->

Introduce new remote for ping. So combine dexcom g4 receiver+onetouch meter(or some other vendor if preferred)+animas remote into one.

Sure it needs two different radios, but so what, average cell phone has typically 3-4 radios.

Id bet existing customers would be pretty pleased with this solution.

14. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Yep, pretty much exactly what we need. May as well throw in a blood ketone meter while you are at it. :D

15. hawkeyegirl

Make it a remote that controlled all pump functions (like the Omnipod), and we'd be sold. :)

16. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

YES! I'd sure love to run temp basals off the remote. Since most of the time I'm doing them in the middle of the night, it would be great not to have to go fishing in the pj's at 4 am. :D