- advertisement -

Dexcom G5, iPhone and high school

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrendaK, Nov 29, 2015.

1. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Carson got the new G5 on Friday and has ditched the receiver in favor of his phone. I just sent an email to the school nurse making sure teachers know and don't confiscate his phone if it beeps or he needs to look at his number. We turned off all alarms/noises except for Dexcom alerts and phone calls (hopefully rare while in class). Any experiences good or bad with the G5 in a high school setting? I can't imagine many other settings where a necessary medical device is on an iPhone. Do we add this on a 504? What happens if a teacher or sub tries to take it away? Does he refuse?

Side note: he's been managing his own overnight blood sugars for a week or 2 now and the share feature is of great peace of mind to me. I have my phone set up to only alert at 55 urgent low setting. That way I can intervene if he doesn't catch a low. That's pretty rare but give me peace of mind!

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

I would absolutely add it to his 504. I would also send an email to each of his teachers giving them the heads up.

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Yes add it to the 504. Then if anyone gives him a hard time he can use the magic words "it's in my 504" and conflicts just fade away. If someone does try to take it away it still me be more diplomatic for him to see his case manager rather than to refuse.

4. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

I put it in my son's 504 that he is allowed to have a cell phone on him. I was a teacher and it is important that the teachers know because there are some security protocols regarding cell phones. If it is in the 504 the teacher should know, they all get a copy and they all should read them and are responsible for knowing them (my district got sued 2-3 years later because a new teacher who came in at the semester did not put a kid close to the board in the seating chart), so it is good to make sure each teacher confirms that they have seen it. I had the school nurse go to each teacher and get them to sign off on the 504 to show that they had read it. It could also be the case manager. Since my school does a medical plan and then a 504 if requested, they just made the nurse responsible.

I also made sure that there was an automatic note plastered to the front of any plans for a substitute teacher who was covering any of his classes.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  5. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We upgraded as well. However, my daughter is self conscious about pulling a phone out during school, so she chose to use the Receiver still for school. It's smaller and more discreet and fits in her uniform skirt pocket.
    As far as using the phone though as a medical device, we've had no issue with the HS allowing her to use her Phone when needed. She recently went on a two night retreat where ohones were not allowed. I emailed the advisors to let them know she had to have a phone in her at all times, and they were fine with it.

6. dpr

dpr Approved members

It's in our 504 and be sure to also add that any substitute teaches are required to read the 504 or at least the medical management plan so they know about the phone too.

7. Sari

Sari Approved members

well question about the new G5. Does this mean you don't get a receiver with it? Like we like the idea of when my son is playing a sport that he doesn't have to have his phone on him. He can wear the receiver and we can see his numbers sitting in the stands.

8. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Yes you do get a receiver mso your idea of seeing his number in the Stanwood work. We don't like having the receiver on at home because if there is an alarm the receiver will be up as well as the phone. That's too much noise. You would have to decide what kind of action to take if you saw his number in the stand and needed to alert him. That would be difficult I would think to run out of the stands and alert a coach.