- advertisement -

Dexcom G4 PLATINUM system with Share (Bluetooth)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Christopher, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I just ordered the new Dexcom system with Bluetooth built right into the receiver. Meaning that you no longer have to use the clunky cradle to use the Share system. This sets up the Gen 5 system where the CGM data is sent directly from the transmitter to your iPhone so you don't even need the receiver to see your bg. Very cool.

I was reading all the nightscout threads but for those of us that use iPhones I don't really see the need for it anymore. The Share seems so much cleaner and simpler.

I believe it's been out for a while but I wasn't sure if everyone knew about the Bluetooth enabled Dexcom so I thought I would "share". :D

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

It's been out since Feb or Mar. We got ours last month. There will need to be a new transmitter before we can ditch the receiver as the transmitter will have to use Bluetooth to go directly to phone. We love it though!

3. Christopher

Right, the G5 with the new transmitter is not out yet, but they were predicting possibly 2016, but who knows. My G4 has shipped and I can't wait to get it! Danielle did a trial run with one from the Endo's office and I got so used to it in just one week that when I had to return it I felt weird not having access to that data. :eek:

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm so glad she liked it! We've had the new version since March. To be completely honest with you, we rarely use the Share function except if we're on vacation as the Dex receiver reads in my bedroom at night. I followed him once at school and it drove me crazy so I turned it off, lol. It was handy during tennis season, though. He checks his Dex when they change sides (he keeps it in his tennis bag) and one time when he ignored it, I let his coach know. He made him stop and treat. That was the one and only time he ignored his lows. :wink:

Dexcom customer service rocks! Also, for insertion tips, check out Diabetic Danica on Youtube. That's how we learned how to insert it. :)

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

For us, I'm around her a lot but often in different parts of the house, so it enables me to check the numbers without it being intrusive for her - it gives her an illusion of a bit more independence. And, we were in the car for 6 hours the other day and it didn't alarm once, but I did check the numbers once in a while, just to make sure, while she was sleeping.

At night, the receiver is in our room but when we were on vacation last week, the receiver didn't reach from our room, so she kept the receiver and her cell phone and we got the alarms in our room, which was very nice.

6. Christopher

Thanks Christina! I agree about the Share, but it will be nice to have when needed. I also think it will be great for her tennis games. But I see what you and others have said, because for the week I had it, I was checking it ALL the time. I didn't bug her about any of the numbers of course, I didn't want to turn her off of it, but it was just so great to be able to see where her bg was and more importantly, where it was GOING. And I believe this is going to make a big difference in my nights, since I have been doing fingersticks multiple times a night, every night.

I will check out the YouTube vids. I have only seen the one insertion at the Endo's office for the trial, and the CDE made it look really easy. :welcoming:

Most of all, I think this will give me some peace of mind when she goes off to college (hopefully!) in a few years.

7. Christopher

I know, during the trial it was so great to be sitting downstairs watching tv and she was upstairs in her room and I had the receiver and I could just touch a button and see what her bg was. Very cool. :victorious:

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana got hers when it first came out. It works great. However, we really only use it at night. We don't use the share when she's at school ( she will be a freshman). We've got along 6 years without it and what would I do with the information while she's at school? Honestly, it drives me kind of crazy when she's at dance or tennis and I'm at home and see her number dropping. I get panicky hoping she knows she's low and eats something. again, she's 14 and has been responsible for her self when she's out of the house for quite some time before the dexcom share.
    However, it is nice not having to get out of bed at night to check the reciever (our room are too far apart for me to have the reciever in our room. It loses connection).

9. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

The share has been fantastic for us!! I don't have a nightscout but I have seen it and it does some nifty things - like it shows when the last correction happened. I expect that Dexcom will add these nice things to the program in time.

10. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Good luck Christopher. Share or no Share I suspect after so many years dealing with T1D you and your daughter will find the technology really useful. it evens the playing field quite a bit.

11. Christopher

Right, I think someone on here said the access to the constant bg information was a blessing and a curse. And I can see how it can get to be too much. And I agree, I am really looking forward to not having to do finger sticks in the middle of the night as often as I have been.

12. Christopher

That would be handy. It seems like the Dexcom people do listen to feedback so hopefully you are right and they incorporate that type of stuff in future systems. I thought there was a place to enter insulin given on the receiver but I could be mixing it up with the Omnipod PDA or the t:slim pump. She just got done doing a trial with both of those so everything is kind of jumbled up together.

13. Christopher

Thanks very much. Just trying it for a week was amazing. I am very excited to have it for keeps. It can't come soon enough. I have been tracking it since it shipped and it has apparently been sitting in a sorting center in a Chicago since Sunday. Heck, if I knew where it was I would go pick it up myself!

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL. Those first few days you're going to be glued to it! It's so cool watching how numbers react to different foods, activity, etc. Just remember to bite your tongue and try not to comment too much, as hard as that's going to be. :wink:

15. Christopher

I know! I already got some good practice biting my tongue during the trial week. When she was in the house and the receiver was sitting around I would casually walk past and push the button just to see where things were. I also think the CGM is going to be very helpful when we transition from MDI to a pump. Being able to see the fluctuations, especially trying to figure out her basal rates.