- advertisement -

Dexcom G4 - Low battery- order new transmitter!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Got that message this AM, will have to see when she getts home which transmitter it is. The one that is getting near a year old or the one that is just barely 6 months old.

(we have two that we have been using at the same time I ordered a new one at 6 months)

Will let you all know how much longer it lasts past the alarm, if I can.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I am really confused about why you would having your daughter wearing two transmitters/sensors at the same time? The only time we've done that is when G4 first arrived and she already had a Metronic in use, and we wanted to compare firsthand how they compared to each other.

When did you order your G4? Ours is almost a year, and we have yet to receive the low battery alert.

I was told that the battery gets about 2 weeks to allow shipping time, etc. to get the new transmitter here. We already have our unopened replacement because I didn't want to be without CGM if there were insurance delays.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am sorry, she does not "wear" 2 at the same time, well maybe for a few hours.

But we have 2 transmitters and receivers that we swap back and forth, if need be.

Usually when I see a sensor dying I will have her bathe and keep the dying one on and going then I will put a new one on and wait for it to go thru its 2hr warmup. I will wait to turn off and remove the old one once I know that the new was is good to go.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We got our first G4 almost a year ago in November it is that one that gave me the low battery alarm this AM. The second one we got almost 6 months ago, and I had thought that I was just going to use the second receiver but then decided to just use them both.

This AM she got the low battery alarm several times in a short period of time, but then nothing else the rest of the day. So we will see how long it takes it to really die. BTW I have not seen any issues with out of range or hour glass or off numbers, so it was a surprise to me.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Keep me updated! I have the new one here at home, he has the old one at school, so I'd love to have some advance notice on how much time he'll have between error message and complete death so I can get the new one shipped to him at his dorm.

6. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

We too got the low battery message today. It will be a year next week. Read on another site it will last about a week. Hopefully we can get a new one before it stops working.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well last night the receiver went to out of range for 3 hours so I gave up on the transmitter and swapped the site to the other transmitter that we had. It was an all of a sudden thing, running along just fine and then stopped and went to out of range. Thrived a few things in the 3hours and nothing worked, it was not the site or receiver because by shaping out the transmitter it can up and was working.

So we got 3.5 days from the first low batterie alarm. And actually the reciever still has not found the transmitter and given a failed sensor. So I think the transmitter is dreaded than a door ail.

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Thanks, that is helpful, I can get a package to him easily in 2!

9. MomofSweetOne

We got the Low Transmitter Battery warning 365 days after starting on the G4. However, it died 24 hours later. I'd been told it would last at least 1 week, probably 2, by Dexcom, but I'd ordered one earlier because I didn't to risk insurance delays without coverage.

I had almost forgotten the fears of lows while sleeping without its monitoring; it quit reading during the night. I'm glad G4 is back on duty.

10. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Interesting. My DD's first G4 transmitter is still going more than a year later. I've been expecting it to die for a long time now. I wonder what makes the battery life vary so much.

ETA:Right after I posted we got the alert. How's that for timing? Our transmitter lasted 1year 2 weeks.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  11. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

We got our first low battery alert over 6 months ago. I ordered a new transmitter and put it on the shelf, expecting another error or failure any day....

6 months later and it's still working, but we're getting more out of range errors. Instead of hanging the receiver on my bed post, I've been hanging it on my doorknob. Now I'm getting out of range errors at that distance. I can only assuming the battery is dying.

We have recently moved out Wi-Fi router up from under the floor to above the floor (a move of about 2 feet).

It seems obvious that I should just pitch the old one, but I hate the idea of not getting every day out of it that I can, and I'm really curious just how long it will last.

I don't have the exact date in front of me (d'oh, there it is in my signature. Not quite a year) , but I'm sure it's more that a year old and have been in use 24/7.

12. MomofSweetOne

It sounds as if it's dying. When ours actually gave the low battery alert, it was 365 days old. 24 hours later, it was gone. I was glad to already have the back-up ordered and here. I now have the back-up for the new one in waiting. With the way our nights have been this year, I don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for insurance approval while we go without. If she woke to her lows or if they happened on a schedule, I might be less worried.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If you are getting out of range errors and loss of range why bother trying to squeeze every bit of life out of it? You have a replacement, use it.

14. swellman

swellman Approved members

We lasted about a year. I ordered one and left it in the box.

15. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

Just got our first low battery alarm last night, we've had Dex for about 11 months.

Praying we can get through all the insurance hoops for replacement before it officially dies.

I wish I had ordered one sooner! Puberty is killing me, and I can't bear the thought of living without our Dex!

16. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

The local Dexcom rep contacted me at 6 months to let me know that I might be eligible for a new one so I went ahead and started the process. Actually, she did. She contacted my supply company. It's been right at 6 -7 months, but we haven't gotten a warning.