- advertisement -

Dexcom FDA Approval

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jordansmom, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Just FYI, according to people on facebook (so the accuracy is not guaranteed) if you order a new dexcom receiver now, you will get a free Share receiver shipping on March 2 and NOT have to send the old one back. Might be worth it to order now instead of waiting to have a back up receiver. I'm pretty tempted to do it even though I don't have a need for the Share receiver. 2 receivers for the price of 1 is a pretty good deal.

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

That's what I think.

3. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Yes, just as they do today with the non-share receiver. The only difference is one has the new software (505) and one does not since 505 is not yet approved for pediatric use. Our DS uses Dexcom but our endo office never prescribes the pediatric version of anything so we were able to update our receiver with the 505 update when it came out. His receiver will be out of warranty in August, trying to decide if we'll spend the $199 to get receiver w/share or just wait and let insurance cover it.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Our 1 year anniversary of purchase in middle June of this year. I imagine if they start upgrades in March it'll probably take a couple of months to get everyone upgraded anyway, which puts it close to our warranty end.

I just looked and our upgrade in June, because deductibles were already met, was just over $100. We have already met this year's deductible because we bought a new pump so I can save about $100 by waiting a couple of months. I think we'll do that and put that money towards the smart phone and data plan I'm gonna have to get for Emma :) and for my son who will not stand for his 10-year-old sister having a smart phone when he doesn't! Anyone wanna recommend the best cell phone plan for a family of 4 iPhones!!

5. Brhodes

Brhodes Approved members

I just called and asked. The rep told me that if you order a receiver now, you'll get the old one, not the share.

6. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

That's because the receiver w/Share isn't available yet and won't be until March. What they are saying though is for anyone who purchased a receiver after January 1st of this year and did not get the receiver w/Share, they will be able to get the new receiver w/Share as a FREE upgrade when it is available.

7. Nancy in VA

We got our G4 free that way. We had ordered the 7+ and I didn't even know something else was on the way. The G4 came out with the huge range (yay!) and they had free upgrades for those who purchased the 2-3 months before it came out - I was thrilled. That said, when we did that, they actually filled a bunch of NEW orders before they went to the upgrades, so it still may be a couple of months after March before the free upgrades get filled. I'm sure it'll be worth it though!

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If you had an adult receiver you could have jus downloaded the 505 upgrade.

9. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

She hadn't had an adult one since her original receiver. That one broke, so they sent her a pediatric one.

Then all the sudden we started having problems. We went through three pediatric receivers in about three weeks early in the school year (10/23/14, 11/13/14 and 11/19/14). The last two kept doing the "system check passed" thing multiple times a day and then would start the two hour warm up. We were missing 4 to 6 hours of data a day and it was beyond frustrating. When the third one did it within a day or two of receipt- I asked if maybe they could send us an adult one instead of the pediatric one just to try something different. They did. So, we got a new 505 receiver.

Then our warranty was up later in the month and I ordered a new receiver that insurance would pay for, but, of course, it's pediatric. We're still using the 505 one and haven't opened the pediatric one. Of course, if something happened to the 505 receiver, there's nothing we can do about it. It's the pediatric one that is under warranty so if they had to send a replacement, it would be pediatric, too.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think you can always ask your endo to prescribe the adult receiver, off-label. It's what I plan to do next time around.

11. Nancy in VA

I don't know what my Endo prescribed but when ours died out of warranty last June, we did a QUICK TURNAROUND prescription (got all prescriptions, letters of medical necessity, benefits, etc done in about 3 days), we got the adult one. So I downloaded the 505 software as soon as I could. I will push to make sure we get the adult share version as well!