- advertisement -

Dexcom FDA Approval

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jordansmom, Jan 23, 2015.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Two things: We aren't due for a new receiver until November, so I'm kinda bummed on that point, but on the plus side, at least I did the right thing last month when I was due for an upgrade. With dexcom in mind, I switched from my Galaxy to an iPhone (I still do the two year contracts, so it was now or wait until December 2016). I feel like I'm learning a new language with iOS, but at least my efforts will be rewarded eventually.

My daughter is excited because she knows that when her contract is up, we'll get her an iPhone instead of the cheapo "dumb"phone she has now.

The funny thing is, I was so excited that we were due for a new receiver in November, because I was able to score a brand new 505 receiver. Amazing that there is something new a mere three months later.

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

So one iPhone will have to be in close proximity to the Dex transmitter? Hmm--I'll be interested to see what comes out on Wednesday. Mind you, we're in Canada, so I guess I will have to find out what stage this upgrade is at up here. We're trying to sort out insurance for getting a new transmitter and receiver up here (we're still working off of the 6+ months of diabetes supplies I hoarded before moving!), and I'm wondering if we should hold out for a bit longer...

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

For this version within close proximity to the receiver. If you are familiar with Bluetooth ranges, about that far.

4. mamattorney

I think that the iPhone will need to be close to the person wearing the dexcom so the receiver can use bluetooth to transmit readings to it. Of course, the receiver has to be close to the transmitter, so everything needs to be reasonably close the the person wearing the dexcom.

But the readings can only be read on Apple devices. That's why I wanted an iPhone. It's not like nightscout where you can read the numbers on any device that can access the internet. It's much more private than that.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We aren't due for a new receiver until Aug. :(
    However, it might just be worth it to buy a new receiver. How much is it again to purchase a replacement (oops it may have just gotten wet...)?

Right now we are using Nightscout. But my daughter hates carrying it because the cables make her kit bulky. She already has an iPhone and pebble watch, so this is the ideal set up for us. Of course, now we will be stuck with an android phone, but I will do some monkeying with our plan to swap things around as hubby is ready for an upgrade...

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

So it sounds like my daughter can carry her Dexcom receiver and an iPhone in her purse and as long as its close to her, it will pick up the readings from the transmitter and then I could get them on my phone?! We don't NEED that right now, per se, because I homeschool her, but there are times that it would come in handy, and it would open up our "overnight" options (sleepovers, grandparents). When do they expect the new Dexcom share receiver to be available?

7. sszyszkiewicz

Within a year hopefully the receiver will be optional and the transmitter will talk directly to your favorite mobile device.

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

With the current Share, they don't have to be all that close together. (Not at all like the Medtronic sensor and receiver.) We sometimes have the Share dock in my daughter's room and sometimes in mine. Either way, her phone is the Sharer even when the Share dock is not in the same room. This week I've slept through alarms twice due to post-illness exhaustion, so we docked the CGM and had both of our phones using the Follow app in hopes of waking one of us as needed.

We don't use the Share that often, but it has been worth every cent when we've used it. I don't regret the money we spent for the additional independence it gives. My daughter is glad we didn't wait to buy it, but she is excited about having it even more portable than it currently is.

9. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

The announcement came from the FDA and Dexcom has not yet made any comments about Dexcom Share Direct." But they have scheduled some kind of announcement tomorrow morning. So hopefully we'll get some info soon on availability and price.

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

11. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Sounds like a similar approach to what they did when the G4 came out. That time, we had JUST purchased the 7plus so we got a free upgrade. I imagine with new units shipping in March, the upgrades won't be available for users until maybe June - there was a couple / few month delay in getting to upgrade users last time. That will put us about the time that we will be out of warranty, so I may see what the upgrade vs. new on insurance will be at that time because we'll be approaching end of warranty AND end of medical deductible period before new deductible kicks in, so it may be six of one, half dozen on the other with us!

12. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

From the press release on the Dexcom website:

"All patients who purchased a Share cradle will receive a free upgrade to the Share receiver."

Yay!

We recently purchased Share; I was afraid I'd have to spend even more to upgrade.

13. sszyszkiewicz

I wonder if they will make us send back the old one.

14. mamattorney

I just listened to the dexcom conference call. They said they are optimistically hoping for approval of G5 in late 2015 if they submit it this quarter (a 6 - 9 month review). Then they said that while the share receiver would be compatible with the G5 transmitter, it would require a software upgrade (done at home like 505). They got this approval earlier than expected, so I hope that they are correct in their timeline.

Someone asked how it would affect the pump/cgm combo partners and they said that it wouldn't. The pump companies would have to alter their products for the wireless connectivity of G5. I'm trying to wrap my arms around that comment. My thought process was (optimistically) that when the t:slim integrated - which I know will be G4 - my daughter could wear a G5 transmitter, have the display on her pump as primary/backup if the iPhone died. But it sounds like the integrated pumps with not be compatible with G5. Anyone know if that would be a quick fix or would it involve FDA filings and waiting. Are we all looking at an either/or situation? Meaning, you get the cgm display on either your pump or your iPhone, but not both. While I know teenagers are pretty cognizant of their phones, I could see my daughter being out and about and running out of battery. That makes me nervous, but I wouldn't want her to have to carry around a receiver 24 hours a day "just in case". That seems like overkill.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  15. sszyszkiewicz

Did anyone ask a question about the revenue stream associated with the receivers? I mean they must make some money on each receiver they sell. I ask this question because I was wondering if they will charge for the software and data services in the future to replace that revenue? Just something rattling around in my head.

One thing is likely certain, their fedex bill will drop!

16. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

My guess is that they make most of the money on the consumables - the sensors. (Similarly, I bet Omnipod does too, which is why they'll offer the PDM cheap for the chance to sell you the disposable pods monthly ad infinitum) They won't be able to charge for remote data access as long as there is a free, open source alternative in Nightscout.

17. mamattorney

Someone did ask and basically they said that while they still have tons of room to grow, that eventually the revenue percentages will switch more to consumables than hardware. But with the one year warranty (as opposed to 4 years on a pump) they still get to sell hardware to PWD pretty frequently.

18. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, that is the problem for everyone but Medtronic. The technology in the pump is always going to be behind the stand-alone technology. I'm guessing that most folks would rather pull out their phone to check their CGM readings than their pump, but it would be nice to have both options.

19. mamattorney

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

So do you read this to mean that they will be sending out two different Share receivers: one with the new algorithm for the over 18 crowd and a pediatric one for kids?