- advertisement -

Dexcom Approved

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dvbo79, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Dvbo79

Dvbo79 Approved members

We've been approved to receive the Dexcom! :)
    I'm wondering what's some tips I should know. My son is almost three and very slim. I'm a little anxious that we won't find a fatty enough place to put it, that he can't mess with. I'm hoping this will be as good for us as it has been for a lot of you.

2. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

You're going to love it!!!

I would try putting it on his arm (vertical) we've found that the arms have worked best for us.

Also, because my son is 4 and very active it has helped us to tape it down as soon as we put it on. I don't tape over the sensor but I tape all around the white adhesive part. If I don't tape it down it falls right off.

The tape we use is the opsite flexifix - it comes in a huge roll from Amazon and it lasts forever.

You can use sensors for more than one week, all you have to do is push stop sensor and then re-start it and go through the 2 hr calibration period again.

Don't use tylenol with it - it can mess up the readings.

If you ever have a sensor fall off or fail within the first week don't hesitate to call Dexcom, they have amazing customer support and will overnight you a new sensor to replace the one that didn't last the full week.

3. AmyJoeBut

AmyJoeBut Approved members

We got ours almost a month ago and love it!

The one thing that I will tell you is not to over calibrate it. The first week, we thought that the more "information" (blood sugar numbers) it had, the better it would be. Boy were we wrong! The dexcom numbers were all over the place. When we called customer service, they told us to calibrate 2-3 times and day and now it is very, very close to his actual bs number.

Good luck! And don't hestiate to call customer service with any issues-- they are great!

Amy

4. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

MY son

My son is fairly slim too - age 6. We use exclusively back of arms for dexcom - place it longways. Just watch the videos and you will get fast fast fast with site insertion.

5. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

My son is downright skinny, and we use the backs of his arms for Dexcom. We set the sensor vertically, and we tape it down with Hypafix tape. Four strips over the adhesive, forming a frame around the sensor itself.