- advertisement -

Dexcom & Android

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by badshoe, Jun 2, 2015.

1. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Dexcom just announced: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150602005563/en#.VW3R5GD5b9M

This is the Follow app, not the Share tool on iOS. But it is a step in the right direction.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Awesome ...

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

It's amazing how a company can completely corner the market... Just by giving us products we really need. You would think other manufactures would be paying attention.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

5. timsma

timsma Approved members

My son just got the new dex g4 platinum with share. He has an android phone. He can download the follow app but not the share app? It seems this is worthless then unless one has an iPhone? Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

6. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

As of right now, the child wearing the Dex has to have an iPhone on wifi to be able to share the data with followers. We use our old iPhone 4s that is not used as a phone anymore (doesn't even have cell service on it, just wifi), and it works great.

7. dpr

dpr Approved members

You can also use an iPod or an iPad with a Wi Fi connection. But if you don't have any Apple devices than, yes it won't work for now.

8. njswede

njswede Approved members

As of right now, he needs an iPhone if he wants to use standard Share. However, if you are somewhat computer savvy, there's an open source project called Nightscout that allows you to use an Android. Are you on Facebook? In that case, join the group "CGM In The Cloud". You can also read about it here: http://www.nightscout.info/

A bit of a disclaimer, though: Nightscout isn't supported by Dexcom. You need to know a little bit about computers to set it up. However, the Facebook group is really helpful.

We got a "free" iPhone 5c added to my plan, so we're using the standard Share. However, I also send the data to Nightscout, because I like their app better than the standard follow app.

9. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

This is a great tip, thanks!

Us parents use Androids. Grandparents have offered us an old iPhone that we could give our daughter to use as the share device, but we have been reluctant to activate it with a cellular plan for a variety of reasons, including both financial and discomfort starting cell phones at such a young age.

The main reason that we'd want Share is for starting kindergarten in the fall, so I guess we'd have to be sure that dd's school lets us access the wifi network (I wonder if we could even sneak that into the 504?). Has your daughter started public school? And have you had any hassles accessing wifi other places when you need access to the Share?

10. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

Now you know, no cell service needed yay!!! Our daughter is also starting kindergarten in August, and I don't think the phone thing is specifically mentioned in her 504 plan, but since it is included as part of her medical device, I know we will not have an issue. I have already spoken to the principal to make sure that they have wifi and that it is available in the classrooms. We were told yes, not a problem. She has been in preschool for the past two years, and having the Share has been life changing for us.

11. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We put the phone in my son's 504. It's part of his prescribed medical device as far as I'm concerned. We activated a $100 iphone 4s on Page Plus Cellular (verizon network) and it has cost us under $8/month. We have a Nightscout rig too that we use from time to time, such as during the 2 hour start up, so we can see the raw numbers. And we have set up the "share2bridge" so we can see the data on our Pebbles and the school nurse can see it on her desktop. Worth every penny. I'm seconding checking out the Facebook group to learn more.

On the tangential topic of cell phones for a child, our son is 7 and we normally would not have a child his age have a cell phone. I use the restrictions feature on the phone to lock it down so he can't access the internet or take photos or anything fun, but I did set it up so he could call me or his grandparents in an emergency. As his independence grows I hope we will use it to text so we can help him self-manage.

12. timsma

timsma Approved members

Thank you all! I think my son still has an old iPhone 4. I'll have him see if that will work. Thanks for all the tips!