- advertisement -

Dexcom and water park

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momofone, Dec 18, 2012.

1. momofone

momofone Approved members

We're heading to Great Wolf Lodge again next week. He hasn't done more than shower with his Dex so I'm not sure how well it would do with anything more than that. I would imagine he'll be out of range most of the day anyway. Any advice would be super!

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We didn't have the G4 when we went to a waterpark in October. The Medtronic didn't keep up well with activity, so when the sensor pulled out after the first day, my daughter wanted a CGM break for the day. She used 60% basal, I think, and tested about every 45 minutes and carbed back to 150. The day went great without lows...and no highs until her set pulled out right at the end of the day.

If we were doing it now, I would make sure the sensor/transmitter were taped on REALLY well and see how much the G4 can read throughout the day. We got no readings at a pool, but so much of the waterpark time is lines, so you might get a lot of readings if you just leave the G4 in a ziplock in a towel bag that you can look at often.

My daughter wore an aquapack for her pump. She got a slice in it the first day. The hotel gave us electrical tape that sealed it back up, and then the next day she kept it under her tankini so that her suit and not the Aquapack took the abuse.

3. Dan

Dan Approved members

Living in Florida we go to the beach and pool a lot. All I do is cover the entire sensor and tape with tagaderm. Worked ok with 7+ due to range issues but I am sure the G4 will perform great.

4. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I did a beach vacation this summer without issue. Just Oppsite Flexifix right after insertion to help fortify the adhesive. If going on slides, be cognizant of sensor placement, I.e. if planning on sliding head first might want to avoid belly or front of thighs, if sliding on bum a lot might want to avoid him sensor placement. Arms worked very well for me this summer and out of the way for boogie boarding.

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son does not have a CGM, but when we went to a waterpark this past summer with his pump, I worried about his site coming off with all the water and friction. (We kept the pump off for the rides, with frequent BG checks, reattaching if needed to bolus.) We used waterproof Band-Aid Tough strips to keep his site in place...and those things work great!! Site did not budge. Just made a "window" around his site with the Band Aids, so we could still attach and detach easily.

6. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We use hypafix over the adhesive, and then we use vetwrap (it's the stretchy athletic tape that sticks to itself) around his arm to totally cover it. It keeps it on through swimming, tubing, etc. I (or someone else not in the water) hold on to the receiver.

7. momofone

momofone Approved members

Great suggestions. Thank you! We already have all of the above on hand; vetwrap, opsite, hypafix. We also have a couple Bands 4 Life. I think it says on the site that it is only waterproof (resistant) for 30 minutes but maybe I'm imagining things.

8. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

Keep the Dexcom 7 receiver out of water. It does not like water. The transmitter seems OK in use.