- advertisement -

Dexcom and Sports

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Haljov2, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

I love these! Thank you :)

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

We only change ours when he's going to be home for a bit and he's freshly showered. It gives the tape a chance to adhere to the skin. Sometimes that means doing a change at 10 pm, which means calibrating it at midnight. It's a real pain but it's what works for us.

3. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. As always, it was greatly appreciated. We tried each and every suggestion, but nothing worked for us. Unfortunately, I don't think that we are going to continue using the Dexcom :(

4. samson

samson Approved members

Haljov2,
    I'm really sorry it didn't work for you! The one thing I might consider is to use the Dex intermittently to reveal and troubleshoot specific problems -- say you have a breakfast high or an unexplained night low, just using it for a week or two to try to iron them out, then taking the Dex off after that. I'm guessing you could get pretty good results with intermittent use as long as you were very focused on specific problem solving.

5. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

Our main purpose for the Dexcom was to give our daughter more freedom. She can't even keep a sensor on for a full day, so that pretty much defeats our purpose :(

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Years ago, before we were even pumping, I recall being at a gathering to Type 1 families and someone saying that they had issues with perspiration and keeping infusion sets on - their solution was to use a strong (maybe prescription strength?) anti-perspirant on the area before insertion. Don't know how that would work for a week but maybe it could help.

7. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

I've heard of people doing this before, but I wasn't sure exactly how it worked. Do they apply the anti-perspirant under the the entire area being taped down or do they apply it around the area after taped? Or both?

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Matisol is definitely stronger. It also comes in liquid form so you can swab it on. I think I got ours on Amazon.
    When my daughter was doing sailing, we would Matisol the skin and also the adhesive part of the sensor. Then, we would do IV 3000 (like Tegaderm) and then put vet wrap around that. Not too tight though as it can alter readings. Vet wrap can be found in pet stores or online. Works like a charm.

I concur on the antiperspirant. Our doc says it works well. We always forget though!

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I really don't know - I just recall folks mentioning it. It was before we were even pumping so I'm sure it didn't resonate. I suppose knowing what I know now I'd spray the area, alcohol wipe just where the needle will insert, put in sensor, wait 30 min then tape or add adhesive and then spray the area daily. Who knows, might work :)