- advertisement -

dexcom and medicine question..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by pianoplayer4, Sep 8, 2012.

1. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

So I had foot surgery yesterday.... and the meds the dr gave me for the pain contains acetaminophen which I know screws with the dexcom=( I'm in so much pain though, I don't really care.

My question is, I JUST put this sensor in (literally 4 hours pre surgery cause the old one was causing trouble) so can I just turn off the receiver and start using it again once I'm off the medication? I should only need it for a few days...

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes just "shut down' the sensor for now.

Call the dr and ask if you can be on another med like motrin for the pain so that you can use your sensor right now when you need it to manage your BG.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

When my son had his broken leg we requested things without acetaminophen, there are several good choices (I assume you are taking vicodin or something similar??)

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

honestly I don't really care about using the sensor, I really was ready for a break anyway. I "shut down" the system... just wondering if the sensor will revive once I'm off the pain meds (hopefully in a few days)

I'm kinda scared to change meds cause the ones I'm on are working... and when I don't have them in my system the pain is UNBEARABLE! the doc just called and said teh first 24hrs are the worst and by monday I should be haveing too much pain so hopfully i'll be off it in a day or two and just go back to the pain meds we have at home (not sure what brand/ type they are, I just know they don't screw up the dexcom)

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes once the med is out of your system Dexcom should come back up, I would try to really hydrate yourself either way. Your Dr should be able to work with you to switch over to a med that does not mess with Dexcom and not have pain. Different medication work in different ways and you could work with it as to not "stack" meds and be safe.

6. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

It's not going to damage it, but you can't "trust the numbers" either. So if you want to keep it on and use it you still can.

Ava had a bad fever once and we were stacking tylenol and motrin on different schedules. That night I think we got ??? but then once the tylenol was out of her system, it started tracking fine again.

7. emilyblake

emilyblake Approved members

Our daughter had her Dexcom sensor on for only a day or two when she recently needed acetaminophen for a fever/ear infection. We didn't shut it down or any thing, but agree, the numbers were off (not surprisingly).

About a day after we stopped the acetaminophen, the Dexcom became it's usual self with regard to accuracy. We didn't restart or anything, just seemed to start working ok after a day of no meds.

8. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

the acetopminophen has a reaction with the enzyme oxidase in the sensor and the silver portion of the sensor. When it clears your system, the readings should become more accurate again with calibration. Doesn't happen in mm sensors b/c they use a slightly different enzyme oxidase and the sensors are made of 24k gold and platinum. Only learned all of this b/c of dd's funky allergy with the mm and the Dex G4 trial. FWIW, if you end up needing pain meds in the future, you can get the same narcotic meds combined with ibuprofen instead of tylenol. I'm having a total brain spasm and can't recall the names. Even before D I tended to ask for those because of the anti-inflammatory effect of ibuprofen relieves pain better than acetaminophen. Hope you get to feeling better soon - you sure do lead a full life!!