- advertisement -

dexcom and aceteminophen

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom24grlz, Dec 27, 2014.

1. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

oh shoot! i just realized i've been giving Ashleigh cold medicine that has acetaminophen in it!! She had 2 pills last night and just took 2 more this morning. Ok so the acetominophen is supposed to make her CGM read higher or lower? I know last night around 1AM CGM said she was 42 with straight arrow down. But BS was actually 128. that was the only major inconsistency. other than that she's been in the 20% range. Last check she was 113 and CGM read 131

i told her to make sure she double checks with a finger stick before correcting a high or treating a low. And to also do a finger stick and not rely on the cgm when bolusing for food.

2. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

We did Tylenol once and found it had no effect on the readings, which we found so interesting because everything we read said it was contraindicated with the sensor. We have stayed away from anything containing acetaminophen since just to be on the safe side, but it sounds like you are having the same experience that we did. :)

3. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

When it causes an issue the dex will usually shoot sky high and get stuck there until its out of their system.