- advertisement -

Dexcom=amazing!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2Hanna, Jan 3, 2014.

1. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Hanna has been on her dexcom since mid November. Love doesn't cover it. She changed today, the last sensor went for 20 days! It got a little wonky this am, yesterday at day 19 was about 15pts off her bg, for the first 18 days was never more the 10pts off. Still can't believe it lasted so long, so accurately. That was her 3rd sensor, the 2nd one gave her a rash, so she was more careful placing this one, making sure she cleaned the site well. She has a little rash, but really minor.

It has caught lows, but more for her, highs that she can treat rather then ignore. It's such a game changer.

2. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

It is a game changer! We love it. My son was allergic to the adhesive and started getting a rash too, we fixed it by putting down a Johnson & Johnson tough pad first and then putting the sensor on top of that, then I just tape down all around the edges, and no more rashes :)

So glad you are enjoying yours, I really wish they sent us home from the hospital with one, it sure changes everything.

3. Dave

Dave Approved members

Tough pads rule! The Dexcom G4 is the greatest thing ever.

4. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

So glad to hear! We are ANXIOUSLY awaiting to hear if we can get it covered here!!!! :/

5. Thornbird

Thornbird Approved members

I'm really interested in hearing more about this-- my son always develops a rash from the adhesive. We have to apply triamcinolone ointment often so that the one arm heals in time for the sensor to be switched.

I'm not familiar with the tough pads- found them online but I'm curious about how you use them. Do you literally inject the sensor through the pad? (And does he wear it on his upper arm?)

6. lutheranhen

lutheranhen New Member

My son really wants to get the Dexcom. We have been researching it for the past four days. I have a question for all of you. Would it be best to contact our endo office or the Dexcom company first?

7. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I don't think they can talk to you without a script from your endo. Although now that I think about it, I think I called dexcom and they called the dr for the script.

8. Shopgirl2091

This is what I do, I don't know if everyone else who uses them is the same. You have to make sure the arm is completely healed before putting on a new sensor or this won't work, the irritation will start right away. I clean his arm with an alcohol wipe and then apply a tough pad to the back of his arm (vertically) then I take the new sensor and I trim just a little bit of the white adhesive off of the top and bottom so it doesn't overlap the tough pad onto the skin at all. Then I remove the adhesive cover and apply the sensor directly to the tough pad. After that I insert the sensor directly through the tough pad. I know some people who have punched a little hole in it first, but I never have and have never seen a problem with our readings. After I make sure the sensor is inserted properly I use the opsite flexifix tape to tape down all around the white adhesive and the tough pad onto his arm. My son is extremely active and without the extra tape the sensor would not last long. with the tape the sensor stays on up to two weeks which is usually when we switch it out because we start getting bad readings. Before we used the tough pads his arm was a mess, now sometimes it is a little dry, but other than that it is in great shape. It has been wonderful for us because I thought for a while we were going to have to stop using the Dexcom because of the reaction.

I buy the tough pads on Amazon - I just bought 16 of them for about $20, not too bad. I hope it works for you!

9. Shopgirl2091

I would call Dexcom and see, they told me they couldn't talk to me until they had orders from our Doctor, but sometimes they will contact the doctor for you, maybe it just depends who you talk to. Go for it - you will love it!

10. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We just got ours in October 2013. The endo's office gave me the rep's phone number and e-mail and told me to call him directly. I did and he e-mailed me some type of release to sign and he handled everything from there. He even called the supply company and set it up. They just called me to find out what color receiver we wanted. All this transpired on a Friday afternoon and it was delivered to us the next Tuesday.