- advertisement -

Dexcom 7 tip for inserting Sensor on kids

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by datoney, Oct 31, 2010.

1. datoney

datoney Approved members

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to add a little post on here about inserting the Dexcom 7 sensor on your kids, and this may be a no brainer but if it helps someone. So my 10 year old daughter has been putting the sensor on her tummy by herself for a while now, she has probably inserted about 14 by herself. However the last 3 times that she did it it was extremely painful, to the point that she didn't want to use the Dexcom anymore. This really worried us as we rely on the Dexcom so much to show us trends etc. Anyway I jumped online and found that the way she was inserting the sensor was wrong, she wanted to insert the sensor very slowly, I found out that you should do it fairly quickly and steadily. We convinced Stephanie to try it again and even to try it on her arm to give her tummy a rest. It really worked and she is so relieved that it didn't hurt, and of course so are we! I have posted a vid on youtube of her doing it for the first time. I was so proud of her, my heart ached for her when she was going through so much pain with this, I just wanted to share with anyone else that may be having a similar issue. Good Luck!!! If you have a minute leave Stephanie a message, she is checking her video everyday :)

Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzcCdzBz7vI

Dwayne :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  2. calebsmom1113

calebsmom1113 Approved members

Thanks for posting. I'm trying to figure all this insertion stuff out before we try it for the first time. We got it a couple days ago.

3. calebsmom1113

calebsmom1113 Approved members

Well, we watched your video and it helped a lot! Caleb was scared of doing his stomach so we did his arm and literally watched you guys, and paused, and watched again while we were doing it. BTW, it really helped him to see that Stephanie was kind of nervous too but that it was OK after she did it. He was really nervous! It went great though so thanks a bunch!!!

4. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Just watched it again. We've tried two sensors .. first one bled so much we were all a bit traumatized by it. Waited a month to try another one. Her arm's too skinny to hold a sensor properly. Will probably try to insert one again tonight when she's sleeping.
    Tell Stephanie thanks for making the video.