- advertisement -

Dex G4 problem/question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof3sons, Jul 13, 2013.

1. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

A couple of questions....
    1. The only way we can get the site to last for more than 3 or 4 days is to use Mastisol spray. We spray it on his skin, trying to avoid the place the wire will go in. Our Dex trainer told us not to use any adhesive, but this had worked well for us. Think it's okay?
    2. Sensor failed last night at time if initial insertion. When we pulled it off, there no sigh of the wire on the sensor. It must be in his stomach. Now what?

Thanks!

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If the mastisol spray isn't interfering with the sensor readings (i.e., if you're able to keep it away from the insertion site), I don't see any problem with it. We actually tape around the Dex adhesive with Opsite tape from the beginning, because otherwise we see it peel up around the 3-4 day mark too.

With respect to your second question, this has been an issue with the Dex sensors. I'd call in to Dex to report it. What I've read on here leads me to believe that the general consensus is that it's not harmful, but I have to tell you that I'm not crazy about the idea that the sensor wires occasionally stay in the body.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Adhesives are fine as long as it is not on the insertion area. We draw a circle with eyeliner and then put skintac around it. You can see circle when lining sensor up. Eyeliner wipes off when you clean the area. In addition we too use tape immediately.

As for the wire staying in, it does happen and is supposedly ok. I would report to Dexcom so that they can have it on record and replace the sensor.

4. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We use Tegaderm leaving a circle for the sensor to go through, and then immediately tape it down with Opsite Flexifix. You can get a whole roll of it on Amazon for about 12.00, and it lasts forever. We usually get two weeks out of sensors, with stopping and re-starting - but I do have to trim the tape that comes up and re-tape around the edges just to make sure everything is secure.

I would definitely tell Dexcom about the Sensor failing right off, they should send you a replacement (at least that seems like what they do with everyone else.

My son is extremely active and with the Tegaderm and Flexifix we haven't had a site fall off yet, knock on wood :)

5. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

1. We use additional adhesive.
    2. Endo said if this happens try a magnet and take out like a splinter. But you should call dexcom and your Endo.

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

We usually make it around 10 days with the sensor.

I have never, ever had a sensor wire left behind. Is it possible that the wire was lost to begin with and that was the reason for the failure? Without the sensor wire there would be no signal to the transmitter. That would be my first guess.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

FWIW, our latest box of sensors seems to have extraordinary adhesive. Even with all the humidity we've had here we're on day 9 and the original adhesive is just now peeling up.

I wonder if something has been modified.

8. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

Some great advice. Dexcom said the wire never inserted and that is why the sensor failed from the start. I kept the inserter. Where would I find the wire? Inside that giant needle? I wonder how much of that big thing goes into the skin!