- advertisement -

Dex back to MM?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cdninct, Sep 8, 2013.

1. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Has anyone who switched to the Dex G4 gone back to the MM CGM system, or is anyone contemplating a move back?

I am not at all unhappy with MM, but I am curious (I admit it--I have a bit of Dex envy!), and I just wondered if anyone has decided that they miss some of the MM features enough to go back!

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

oh hell no. :) Never.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Not here. I do miss a number of the features (the scroll back option, the ability to set different alarm thresholds at different times of the day, the alert silence feature). But none of it is enough to overcome (1) putting it on and forgetting it for 7 days; (2) restarting it and forgetting it for ANOTHER 7 days; (3) the zero impact it has on his skin; (4) the better accuracy. Also, NO false lows at night, ever. NO weak signals at night when the receiver is mere feet from him. The range is awesome.

We used MM for 5 years with very good success. And I can't imagine ever going back.

4. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

Nope. So much happier with Dex that I wouldn't even consider!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No.
    Laughing at the thought, actually. :p

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

When they come out with the enlite sensors here, I'm thinking about it. I used the Guardian in 2008 and it was very accurate for me BUT it really really hurt. So when I decided I needed a CGMS in 2010, I decided to try Dexcom.
    But I miss all the features on the Guardian's receiver and I also really miss the fact that I could go swimming with the Guardian and know what my blood sugar was doing. Dex 7+ got poor reception through the water and G4 gets about none. And I really like to go swimming and I really worry about a hypo in the water 'cause it lowers my bg AND it's a really dangerous place to go low. But I really didn't like the sof-sensors.
    Also, the G4 sensors seem to aggravate my skin a lot more than the 7+ sensors did. I do get better accuracy from G4 than 7+ on the whole, but I'm really not pleased.

So if the enlite sensors come out before I need to buy a new CGM system, then I intend to give minimed a try. But the sof-sensors were really painful, so it would take an awful lot to get me to go back to them. And I haven't heard great things about the accuracy of the enlite, so I won't be surprised if it turns out I send the system right back.

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Haha. No way :D

I do miss the data on the receiver (SD and average BG mainly) but not enough to even consider switching back. I don't really have any sort of desire to even trial the enlite sensors (whenever they arrive :rolleyes:) since I haven't heard anything great about their accuracy.

I don't miss integration at all. I'm considering switching to the tslim if/when they integrate but right now I'm totally fine using my MM pump with the dex.

Just so you know where I am coming from, I used the Medtronic system for close to 7 years, have used over 400 MM sensors and got amazing accuracy with it and I was generally satisfied. But MM doesn't begin to compare to the incredibleness of the dex!

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

This was something that has surprised me a great deal because I thought non-integrated was going to be a deal breaker for us. But, we simply do not miss the integration, at all. We are looking at t-slim for my son's next pump, but if it integrates I'm not sure we'd use that feature.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Same here - Coco couldn't even wear the MM CGM, so there is no way we would switch!

10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Thanks!

We've been holding out for the Enlites for a while, but I figure by the time they finally appear, we will be more than eligible to go back to them to give them a go! Sounds like it's time to get the rx written.

I'd still love to hear if there is anyone out there who isn't totally happy with the move!

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

While there are various pros and cons for each CGM, I am most unhappy with the Dexcom's inability to set the high alarm cannot be set below 120, and this caused my DD's A1C to increase from 5.7% to 6.2% since she switched to the Dexcom, as she no longer gets high alarms at 100. Some nights her BG is just under 120 all night which would we were able to prevent using the MM. I have experimented with entering cal #'s 20 points below the BG to get around it, but not yet sure I can do that safely. I will go back to the MM if they release a sensor like the G4 that does not damage the skin.

12. minniem

minniem Approved members

We switched too and we would never go back to MM. The integration is not a big deal at all for us either. The Dexcom is just so much more accurate than the MM for us. And the first time I put the Dex in my son I'll never forget the smile on his face. He said, "Is that it?". The MM insertion was so painful for him, and the Dex insertion doesn't bother him at all.

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We switched to MM from Dex because of allergy of some sort to the Dex. The skin under MM looks like nothing was there except for a tiny spot.
    My older son still uses the G4. We get very good results from the MM for my younger son.
    They are features of the MM I like I wish Dex had. Of course Dex has that color screen and smaller needle.
    The new G4 receiver has not been as sturdy for my son as the old 7+ or MM receivers

14. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Nope, not at this point. Of course if MM would come out with a new sensor then we would try them out too.

15. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

Never say never, but for now never :D We love our Dex - MM was a nightmare!

16. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When Enlite comes out, my daughter wants to trial it. But for now, she'd never go back to Sof-sensors. Nor would I after seeing the difference in the tissue damage.